Nothing is happening

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Nothing is happening

Post by mixmaster1190 »

I followed this: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pearpc_setup
When I press the green arrow a black window pops up and I can type in Green. Nothing happens after that.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Do you get any text at all in the PROM bootloader screen? Does it ask you what partition you want to boot?

Meanwhile, to help solve your problem:

1. Paste the text of your pearpc prefs file for us to examine
2. To help yourself, check out the first "note" in the introduction to the guide. You can better troubleshoot your own problems by getting rid of the control panel and setting up using the web-based pref files generator. The "note" will explain more about that.
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

#ape_executable = "E:\pearpc\ppc.exe"
ppc_start_resolution = "1024x768x32"
ppc_start_full_screen = 0
redraw_interval_msec = 10
pci_ide0_master_installed = 1
pci_ide0_slave_installed = 1
pci_ide0_master_image = "E:\pearpc\PearPC.net package\Master HD.img"
pci_ide0_slave_image = "E:\pearpc\PearPC.net package\tiger.iso"
pci_ide0_master_type = "hd"
pci_ide0_slave_type = "cdrom"
pci_3c90x_installed = 0
pci_rtl8139_installed = 0
pci_3c90x_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:34"
pci_rtl8139_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:35"
memory_size = 0x40000000
cpu_pvr = 0x00088302
pci_usb_installed = 1
prom_driver_graphic = "PearPC\Windows\video.x"
prom_env_machargs = ""
prom_env_bootargs = ""
prom_bootmethod = "auto"
key_compose_dialog = "F11"
key_change_cd_0 = "none"
key_toggle_mouse_grab = "F12"
key_toggle_full_screen = "Alt+Return"
nvram_file = "nvram"
when I run the exe it pops up for not even a second then dissapears
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Normally these errors occur when a path to some file is not set correctly. Please double check to see if all paths and file names are correct. For clarity of setup, I suggest you move all files into one folder, e.g. your e:\pearpc folder.

I would like to suggest you use the config file below. I have edited the entries for start_resolution, driver_graphic and bootargs/bootmethod. It should show you a screen in which you can choose from which partition on the tiger.iso you would like to boot.

ppc_start_resolution = "1024x768x15"
pci_3c90x_installed = 0
memory_size = 0x40000000
cpu_pvr = 0x00088302
pci_usb_installed = 1
prom_driver_graphic = "E:\PearPC\Windows\video.x"
prom_env_machargs = ""
prom_env_bootargs = "-v"
prom_bootmethod = "select"
key_change_cd_0 = "none"
nvram_file = "nvram"
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

Cat_7 wrote:Hi,

Normally these errors occur when a path to some file is not set correctly. Please double check to see if all paths and file names are correct. For clarity of setup, I suggest you move all files into one folder, e.g. your e:\pearpc folder.

I would like to suggest you use the config file below. I have edited the entries for start_resolution, driver_graphic and bootargs/bootmethod. It should show you a screen in which you can choose from which partition on the tiger.iso you would like to boot.

ppc_start_resolution = "1024x768x15"
pci_3c90x_installed = 0
memory_size = 0x40000000
cpu_pvr = 0x00088302
pci_usb_installed = 1
prom_driver_graphic = "E:\PearPC\Windows\video.x"
prom_env_machargs = ""
prom_env_bootargs = "-v"
prom_bootmethod = "select"
key_change_cd_0 = "none"
nvram_file = "nvram"
All the paths are set right but still the same happens
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

How do you start PearPC?
You should navigate to the pearpc folder and then issue something like:
ppc.exe ppccfg.txt (where ppccfg.txt is the name of your config file)

Best,
Cat_7
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

How do you start PearPC?
You should navigate to the pearpc folder and then issue something like:
ppc.exe ppccfg.txt (where ppccfg.txt is the name of your config file)

Best,
Cat_7
To start it I go to the APE.jar, press load config, and save and start.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I know nothing about this ape you mention. If that program doesn't perform it's duty, you might want to try the manual method I described earlier.
Put all files needed for pearpc in one folder and start it from a shortcut or from the command prompt.

Best,
Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

mixmaster,

Are you using the old PearPC.net package? If so, you could try again using the setup guide on this site...
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

ClockWise wrote:mixmaster,

Are you using the old PearPC.net package? If so, you could try again using the setup guide on this site...
The newest one.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

In your first post you said you were following the guide on this site. Which is not quite the same thing as using the pearpc.net package. None of us really know anything about that package. Maybe the pearpc.net forum might be able to help you better, if you can find someone active over there...
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

ClockWise wrote:In your first post you said you were following the guide on this site. Which is not quite the same thing as using the pearpc.net package. None of us really know anything about that package. Maybe the pearpc.net forum might be able to help you better, if you can find someone active over there...
Alright. I tried running it from APE.jar, but the program just blinks.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Again, none of us really know anything about APE.jar, so we're all going to be a bit useless. All I can suggest is running PearPC without any control panel/GUI or anything. Then we can troubleshoot.
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

I got it working, but I have a 64-bit laptop where the resolution is 1366x and 768y. This option is available in the display settings. Once I set it, the screen gets cut off. (Normally, the screen would be centered at 1024x, 768y, and It stays in that center when I change the resolution.) How do I fix this? Also the emulator seems a bit laggy. Can I fix that?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Are you running full screen? What screen setting is used in the prefs file? is it the same as in Pearpc's OSX?
When PearPC runs in a window, the window will be bigger then the OS it's running.
The laggyness is something that will only be solved by a faster computer, and preferably some serious development of the pearpc code.

Best,
Cat_7
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

Are you running full screen? What screen setting is used in the prefs file? is it the same as in Pearpc's OSX?
When PearPC runs in a window, the window will be bigger then the OS it's running.
The laggyness is something that will only be solved by a faster computer, and preferably some serious development of the pearpc code.

Best,
Cat_7
Yes I am running full screen. I got my brother to help me and he did something to the pearpc config and fixed it. Now all I need is to get the Internet running and the sound working. Is there any wayI can connect without openvpn? It doesn't work in Windows 7. If I can't then is there any way to transfer files to the .img file, or make a computer icon like is basilisk ii and sheepshaver? Thanks for helping me out with this.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

There are two main approaches to networking PearPC, the first two require the VPN tap driver installed:
With Internet Connection Sharing: http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php?title= ... r_XP/Vista
With VPN: Check out the networking guides: http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php?title=Networking
With PCAP: http://www.pearpc.net/viewtopic.php?p=47550 (this requires the use of the redscorp pearpc release)

There is no sound support in PearPC. If there would be, the emulation would be too slow to do anything useful with it.

I'm not sure, but if you make a shortcut to start Pearpc you might be able to change the icon on the shortcut. You would need to find/create an appropriate icon yourself in some icon editor.

Best,
Cat_7
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

Cat_7 wrote:There are two main approaches to networking PearPC, the first two require the VPN tap driver installed:
With Internet Connection Sharing: http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php?title= ... r_XP/Vista
With VPN: Check out the networking guides: http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php?title=Networking
With PCAP: http://www.pearpc.net/viewtopic.php?p=47550 (this requires the use of the redscorp pearpc release)

There is no sound support in PearPC. If there would be, the emulation would be too slow to do anything useful with it.

I'm not sure, but if you make a shortcut to start Pearpc you might be able to change the icon on the shortcut. You would need to find/create an appropriate icon yourself in some icon editor.

Best,
Cat_7
I tried to install openvpn but the driver won't show up in internet connection settings. Also, before you posted this I was looking around on google and found this: http://www.espadav8.co.uk/downloads/
look at the top. I still don't know how to use this and I don't think I will. It is already slow enough.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, I know that sound-enabled build. It produces something audible after several seconds, but nothing intelligable. So, I place that build under "not working". It also requires adjustments to the config file to run. It was based on a version 0.2 of PearPC and so it has no knowledge of what options were introduced later.

I'm sorry, but I don't know enough of PearPC and it's networking particularities anymore to help you any further with this.

Best,
Cat_7
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

Yes, I know that sound-enabled build. It produces something audible after several seconds, but nothing intelligable. So, I place that build under "not working". It also requires adjustments to the config file to run. It was based on a version 0.2 of PearPC and so it has no knowledge of what options were introduced later.

I'm sorry, but I don't know enough of PearPC and it's networking particularities anymore to help you any further with this.

Best,
Cat_7
Thanks but I got help from someone on youtube. The driver is but but internet is still not working. In network Diagnostics it tells me everything is fine, but internet isn't. also, pearpc crashed and now I get this:
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as published by
the Free Software Foundation.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111 USA

AuthenticAMD
CMOV MMX 3DNOW 3DNOW+ SSE SSE2 SSE3
[IO/IDE] <Error> E:\pearpc\pearpc-6gib.img: could not open file (No error)
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

I started over with a fresh install of tiger and followed this guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EPbmioD5C8
Here are screenshots of what is going on:
Also, in the drop down menu for the internet connection and sharing, local area connection 2 is NOT in the drop down menu. I think that is the problem.
Last edited by mixmaster1190 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

What have you got running on the host for PearPC to connect through? Did you see the tap device getting activated? Is it's connection shared with your normal network? Where did you get the numbers from you entered in the ethernet settings?

Best,
cat_7
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

What have you got running on the host for PearPC to connect through? Did you see the tap device getting activated? Is it's connection shared with your normal network? Where did you get the numbers from you entered in the ethernet settings?

Best,
cat_7
I have the newest openvpn (2.1.1). The tap devise is enabled and I know this because pearpc shows an error if it isn't. In connection sharing, wireless is shared, but in the drop down menu (3:56 of the video) Local Area Connection 2 is not in the menu, so I chose local area connection (local area connection is my Ethernet, local area connection 2 is tapwin32, and Wireless Network Connection is my broadcom 802.11n wireless, which is what I am using now.) The numbers I got from 7:28 of the video.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This is how this should work:
You connect the tap device through your normal network device by sharing the connection. You should do that by performing the sharing setup on the normal network device. You choose the tap device as network device you want to allow to share the connection.
Upon activation (starting PearPC) the tap device would normally get the IP address 192.168.0.1 (unless your wireless connection already has this)
So, in PearPC you should enter ip address 192.168.0.2 and use 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask and 192.168.0.1 as router and DNS server.

Best,
Cat_7
mixmaster1190
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mixmaster1190 »

This is how this should work:
You connect the tap device through your normal network device by sharing the connection. You should do that by performing the sharing setup on the normal network device. You choose the tap device as network device you want to allow to share the connection.
Upon activation (starting PearPC) the tap device would normally get the IP address 192.168.0.1 (unless your wireless connection already has this)
So, in PearPC you should enter ip address 192.168.0.2 and use 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask and 192.168.0.1 as router and DNS server.

Best,
Cat_7
I got it to work. All I had to do was update to 10.4.11 and change 192.168.5.1 and 192.168.5.2 to 192.168.137.1 and 192.168.137.2. But I still have one more problem:
Last edited by mixmaster1190 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.