How big is Darwin?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rcwire
Tinkerer

How big is Darwin?

Post by rcwire »

I am d/l the darwin distro from apple's place and it said it would take 40 mins for 413mb, it has been going for nearly two hours, says it has one second left to finish and i am now up to 464mb d/l

So, can anyone tell me how big is darwin?

I am hoping it is not bigger than 700mb because they dont make cds bigger than that, and it did say "cd" not "dvd" too.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Mine was 626 MB.
Le petit prince
Tinkerer

Post by Le petit prince »

If I remember it correctly Darwin's file size is 413 MB, so if your download bar goes beyond that, there's surely something wrong. By the way, is there any reason why you download Darwin?

Regards,

Le petit prince
Monkey
Student Driver

Post by Monkey »

7.0.1 ISO was 611MB, installed into the virtual drive, it took up 1GB.
Le petit prince
Tinkerer

ClockWise wrote:Mine was 626 MB.
When I looked at the file size it said "413 MB". I didn't download it, though, because I had no useful purpose for it.

Regards,

Le petit prince
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Yeah. It is not really needed if you just get Cat_7's premade hd files. Everyone go get them. Ask if you can't find them. They are very nice.
Le petit prince
Tinkerer

ClockWise wrote:Yeah. It is not really needed if you just get Cat_7's premade hd files. Everyone go get them. Ask if you can't find them. They are very nice.
Didn't you succeed to do the partitioning with the hard disk utility?

Le petit prince
rcwire
Tinkerer

Post by rcwire »

Thanks guys. It took me 2 hours odd to /l a 611mb file.

Now you say "well you dont need it"

I dont have a mac osx disk, so how do i install macosx? I have no choice but to use darwin.

8O
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I didn't even try. I spent a day fucking around with 10.3, so when I gave up on that I just used Cat's hd and a 10.2 iso and went to work.

Should I have done it myself? Remember: I am stupid!
rcwire
Tinkerer

Post by rcwire »

Apparently i need the "gunzip" program, this appears to be available only for linux platforms.

I dont have a 10.2 disk to boot off (somewhat essential i guess) and while i can get the img file which is 10.2 i would have to buy a full operating system.

[Update - 13.05.04 - I copied the file to my HardBox and from there to my Windows partition on the Tosh. Then I rebooted and loaded up SUSE 9.0. After half an hour it became clear that a) the file was corrupt and b) Clockwise said his file was 626mb and mine was 611mb - so the d/l was a complete waste of time)]
Last edited by rcwire on Thu May 13, 2004 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcwire
Tinkerer

Post by rcwire »

I have now, just bought a full jaguar multi language from ebay.

Its 3.10am in Scotland I should be asleep.
doshea

Post by doshea »

rcwire wrote:Apparently i need the "gunzip" program, this appears to be available only for linux platforms.
'gunzip' is available on Windows with Cygwin and also on plenty of other platforms, and WinZip can also extract .gz files.

Regards,
David
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Post by Ph0eniX »

rcwire wrote:Apparently i need the "gunzip" program, this appears to be available only for linux platforms.
Actually, I don't think you do. Just rename the darwin file ending with .GZ to .ISO. It's a ready to go CD image. It was 626MB for me as well.