I'm trying to set up 10.4 on my windows 10 laptop

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

sinib
Space Cadet

I'm trying to set up 10.4 on my windows 10 laptop

Post by sinib »

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm trying to set up an emulator that can run 10.4 tiger on a virtual pc so I can run an old powerpc program without purchasing several hundred dollars of software in order to convert the data. What emulator would be the best to use, and how would I set it up?

Thanks so much for you guy's help! :wink:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: I'm trying to set up 10.4 on my windows 10 laptop

Post by adespoton »

You can use PearPC or QEMU. PearPC is more intuitive, but more limited as well; QEMU requires launch scripts from cmd.exe and lets you tweak the hardware you'll be emulating. PearPC doesn't have audio; QEMU audio exists, but can be a bit choppy. QEMU has more networking options, and a shared folder feature (if you can find it). If you go with PearPC, use 0.5; if you go with QEMU, use 3.0.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

sinib wrote:Hi, I'm new here, and I'm trying to set up an emulator that can run 10.4 tiger on a virtual pc so I can run an old powerpc program without purchasing several hundred dollars of software in order to convert the data.
If it comes down to that, I reckon you could probably find an old Mac Mini for a lot less than several hundred dollars. Just sayin'.

In theory, you could also get an Intel version of OS X with Rosetta running in a virtual machine (this page suggests you might be able to find the necessary stuff floating around the darker corners of the Internet), but that probably wouldn't be much easier than PearPC or QEMU.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Indeed; if trying to run PowerPC OS X software, the best setup is probably to run VMWare, Parallels or VirtualBox on your Win10 box and fire up OS X 10.6 Server inside it; this includes Rosetta which will let you run OS X 10.2-10.4 PPC software.

VirtualBox also supports OS X 10.6 (not server) but it's a bit trickier to get it working on non-Mac hardware.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Just to mention it (again) 10.5 Server is hosted at Macintoshgarden.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-x-server-105
See my posting #10 on that page.

Edit: Seems I spoke too soon. :(
The free VMWare Player 15 for Windows does not work with the pre-built VMWare OSX 10.5 instance.
Leo Server sits there with the spinning cartwheel forever.
Installing Leopard Server from scratch in VMWare Player Windows may work, but I did not try.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

10.5 needs some special tweaks to run in VMWare; Server should work, but I have not tried in a few years so YMMV. 10.5 Server does not work in Parallels Desktop for Mac, so I'd assume it works on the Windows build as well. There've been mixed results for both under VirtualBox; I personally found my 10.5 and 10.5 Server VMs stopped working on VirtualBox when I upgraded to a modern Intel CPU and modern version of VirtualBox; they worked fine on VirtualBox 3.12-3.16 for me, but broke afterwards; there were some workarounds that worked if I was using later versions on a Core 2 Duo chip, but not on any of the Lake chips.

See the bottom-right corner of https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0 for details, and to add details if you know something not listed.