Something about the wiki...

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

JonathonWyble
Student Driver

Something about the wiki...

Post by JonathonWyble »

I've been pondering around the E-Maculation wiki lately, and I pointed out some things that I thought could be explained. Sometimes I feel like this place is a little strict with certain features. For example, the wiki has no open registrations, and there are restrictions on editing articles. If that's the case, why even bother having a login feature? And how come I've seen a couple of members from the forum edit certain articles, even though they're not admins or mods? Sometimes I think it'd be great to have like a single-sign-on (SSO) system integrated into the wiki, therefore anyone who is registered on the E-Maculation forum would be able to sign in to the wiki using their forum account. I'm not criticizing or anything, I was just wondering about this, although sometimes I am a little angry about how this place is a little strict with certain features. But other than that, everything's all good :smile:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Something about the wiki...

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I am not sure why this makes you angry. This wiki is intended to be used as (read-only) source of information.

The wiki login and privileges are independent from the forum login and privileges. The wiki users use the same user name as they do in the forum, but that is technically not needed.

There are only 10 wiki users who can login and edit (some) articles. Four of them have admin privileges. One user with editor privileges is a test account. The other five users have limited editing privileges because of a specific article they were involved with, mostly a manual.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
JonathonWyble
Student Driver

Post by JonathonWyble »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I am not sure why this makes you angry. This wiki is intended to be used as (read-only) source of information.

The wiki privileges are independent from the forum privileges.
There are only 10 wiki users who can login and edit (some) articles. Four of them have admin privileges. One user with editor privileges is a test account. The other five users have limited editing privileges because of a specific article they were involved with, mostly a manual.
So, how can that person be able to get an account on the wiki? Not that I would be interested in becoming a member there, I was just wondering how. But if I was ever interested in being involved with the wiki, how could I do that? And to answer your first question, I'm not extremely furious about the wiki. I guess I'm just one of those people who tends to overreact to certain things like that...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Sometimes a discussion here in the forum results in writing a manual or other article for the wiki for which it is useful to give a specific user the possibility to write and/or maintain that article in the wiki. The administrators and moderators here in the forum are the ones with admin privileges in the wiki. They can create a new wiki account for that user.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

For example, I tend to write a lot, but don't have a wiki account because I always bug one of the people who does have an account to make the changes, and they're always quick and happy to do so :)

And on all the wikis where I do have an account, I spend a large part of my time fixing things added by spammers and well-meaning users, so I really appreciate what the admins do here.
JonathonWyble
Student Driver

Post by JonathonWyble »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Sometimes a discussion here in the forum results in writing a manual or other article for the wiki for which it is useful to give a specific user the possibility to write and/or maintain that article in the wiki. The administrators and moderators here in the forum are the ones with admin privileges in the wiki. They can create a new wiki account for that user.
I know admins and mods on the forum are also staff members of the wiki. And I guess that's kinda neat that a discussion on the forum can go into the wiki, if it's a helpful piece of information.
adespoton wrote:For example, I tend to write a lot, but don't have a wiki account because I always bug one of the people who does have an account to make the changes, and they're always quick and happy to do so :)

And on all the wikis where I do have an account, I spend a large part of my time fixing things added by spammers and well-meaning users, so I really appreciate what the admins do here.
Well, I guess that explains why the E-Maculation wiki doesn't have open registrations, because they would want to keep the wiki free from vandalism.

On a side note, I guess you could say that this was also a little suggestion on having an SSO system integrated from the forum to the wiki, so that forum members can log in to the wiki with their forum account, like I said before.