How burn properly Mac OS X Server 1.0 (Rhapsody) bootable CD

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Riccardo iDex
Space Cadet

How burn properly Mac OS X Server 1.0 (Rhapsody) bootable CD

Post by Riccardo iDex »

Hi guys. I’be downloaded from here http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-x-server-12v3 Mac OS X Server 1.0. I’ve downloaded from the first link. It download a .zip file, which contains a folder that contains two .iso file. One is named “MacOSXServer10.iso” and one is “MacOSXServer10dev.iso”. So I ignored the “dev” one, I’ve mounted the “MacOSXServer10.iso” disc image, and t then with Disk Utility’s sidebar I selected the entire disc image (not the volumes) and I burned it onto a CD (just did it like I’ve ever did for burning a Mac OS 7.6, Mac OS 8.x.x and Mac OS 9.x.x - and also like I’ve did with Mac OS Rhapsody- CD).

Once it complete the burning process I just inset the CD into a PowerBook 3400 but the CD does not appear into the desktop. On Mac OS 9.1. I know the PowerBook 3400 it is not officially supported, but anyway it can support Mac OS X Server Rhapsody. If I go to Apple Menù > Apple System Profiler > Device and Volumes > Expansion Bay 1 ID=0 CD-ROM Drive (it says) > “No mounted media insert”.
So I don’t understand: is it CD not properly burned? The CD it’s a CD-RW, maybe the PowerBook 3400c CD-ROM drive does not support CD-RW, but only CD-R?

I would like to try Mac OS X Server 1.0, any help would be really appreciated!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: How burn properly Mac OS X Server 1.0 (Rhapsody) bootabl

Post by adespoton »

Server 1.0 doesn't use a filesystem that's recognized by Mac OS 9.1. If you reboot with the C key held down, you may be able to boot from the CD, but there are no recognized filesystems that Mac OS 9.1 can mount.

Also... you're probably correct about the CD-RW issue. The 3400's drive is CD-ROM only, so may not read CD-RW discs. Burn to any CD-R on the slowest speed possible for the best chances of it being readable on the 3400.