Real G5, Classic OS 9.2 install OpenGL files.

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ruthan
Tinkerer

Re: Real G5, Classic OS 9.2 install OpenGL files.

Post by ruthan »

Ok starting it from Boot CD is not possible, im getting error that is read only.. Im using toast cd image in virtual drive, which as mounted as some .dmg, so unless is possible to mount *.dmg for writing is not the way.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The message that the system software on the startup disk needs to be on the original medial is usually displayed when that system software is not on the original read-only CD but on a read/write volume. A G5 Mac cannot start up with MacOS, so I am not sure which system this message is about.

At least make sure the .toast image file is locked. That can be done in Finder Info for the file. Maybe also try locking the copied 9.1 system folder. That may convince the system that it is on a read-only (CD) volume.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

I think that problem is exactly opposite, Classic OS setup expect that booting disc is writable (that it is hdd).. not read only as BootCD.. so when you try to boot from cd, where is read only its not working.
It seems that something like boot from cd for MacOS 9.1 for its installation is not supported or possible etc.. Tutorials for 9.2.2 are about just mount MacOS cd and copy by hand System folder..

Im not even sure, if 9.1 could run on G5, i read it somewhere, but it could be wrong information and only 9.2.2 could be supported, im not sure where to check it.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

I managed to get to starting point, i installed hfsprogs and mounted hfs volume for write and removed classic os and MacOS is booting fine.

When i got to Classic macos panel, i got message that you have to install Classic Mac 9.1 or later, some 9.1 should be supported..

When try to run installed, i got same error as before that is install is read only, but now im sure that i not because BootCd is mounted as target in Classic settings.

So problem has to way of installing i need other installer or other way how to install it.

I will try to install MacOS 9.2.2 if this way is working at least for 9.2.2 or its just wrong for both versions.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

Ok i managed to install 9.2.2, but its not same way..

I have disk named MacOS 9.2.2 universal installer, when i copy System folder from it, its not working.. installer is starting, but it need to select target disk and dialog is empty, but not boot cd read only error, but on this cd is other *img file name MacOS9Lives.img and here is another System folder and when i copy this one, its now working, booting.

So now i could need same installer disk as for 9.2.2, or really that copy of 9.1 clean install from other computer.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I did some research.

A G5 Mac cannot startup from any MacOS 9.x version. On a G5 Mac, MacOS 9.x can only be used by Classic in MacOSX up to version 10.15.

The System Folder from a MacOS 9.x install disk image cannot be used because it will only work on a read-only volume and Classic needs the System Folder to be writeable to be able to update files for its use.

All methods I can find for installing MacOS 9 on a MacOSX Tiger disk are for installing MacOS 9.2.2 only.

I seem to remember there was a MacOS 9 installer for Classic also on the MacOSX Tiger install DVD, but that would have been MacOS 9.2.2.

A System Folder from a restore disk (image) could work but I do not know where to find one. Or, as you suggested, a copy of an installed System Folder. The newest Macs on which MacOS 9.1 can be installed are 2001 G4 Macs. And MacOS 9.1 can be installed on a G4 emulated by QEMU. But I am not sure that MacOS 9.1 installed on a (emulated) G4 will work on a G5.

Code: Select all

To show images, you can either just paste the dropbox links without [img] and [/img] around it, so we can click on the link,
or dig deep into dropbox to find the actual path to the image file itself and post that between [img] and [/img].
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

I found some Mac 9.1 universal installer..
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=807.0
but it has same problem - there is only System folder. with same read only error. but not aby even hidden *.dmg *.img with other system folder, but can be used.

I also found 9.2.2 System folder stand alone for OS X 10.4 here:
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/246 ... vironment-

I would be really nice to do same thing for 9.1, if it could work.

Her is tutorial i second part you can see other way how to install Classic OS, its using Mac OS 9.2 from Software Restore CD - first Software Restore CD
and here is some SoftwareRestore.pkg - which could be used for installation, again.. maybe 9.1 System restore cd, has same *.pkg file which could be used by same way.

Dropbox strange is that i can see files which i added.. maybe its browser issues, im using Google Chrome newest on Windows.. other on dropbox forum, is other hint change
dl=0 to raw=1
There are new test:
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

I have 1 more problem, i made backup of System 9.2.2 folder with Keka, even i extracted the backup Classic OS, no more see it.. When i open it i Finder, there are no more classic Finder icons, but all executable have some grey/black icon, its possible to fix it?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I do not know if Keka does preserve classic Mac file properties like resource forks and type and creator codes. If if does not, the archived files are probably beyond repair. You had better use the standard archiving utility in Mac OS X 10.4.

(The image is now visible in your last post.)
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

I found this:
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/207 ... 3-v9-1-cd-
I had to download all cds and copy some *.partimage files from every cd, after that was possible to mount HD image, there were System folder.. and its not readable and it shows Mac 9.1 when its starting, but its stuck at the start of boot process,
same as System folder from G4 recovery CD.

So it seems that G4 code of 9.1 its probably incompatible with G5 and System panel info about 9.1+ is probably missleading and universal for all Macs.. Unless exists some "hidden" Mac OS 9.1 for G5 version.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I did some more research.

No MacOS 9.1 version for G5 Macs exists.

MacOS 9.1 was released in January 2001 as an update to 9.0.x and was included with MacOSX 10.0, MacOS 9.2 was only shipped with G4 Macs, MacOS 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 were released as bug fix updates. MacOS 9.2.2 was the final MacOS release in December 2001. MacOSX 10.4 (Tiger) was released in 2005.

G5 Power Macs were produced between 2003 and 2005.

I now also found this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_9
The chart at the bottom indicates that on G5 Macs only 9.2.2 can run and only in the Classic Environment.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

Ok, thanks for help, so my only hope is make game working under 9.2.2.