Other Qemu support forums? Plus some Windows questions

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

user98750
Space Cadet

Other Qemu support forums? Plus some Windows questions

Post by user98750 »

I'm fairly new to Qemu and virtualization, and I had some trouble getting answers since I use a Windows host.

Then I found this forum which is great, lots of topics on Windows as a host, however I am emulating Linux and Plan 9, but not Mac. So I'd like to know if anyone is aware of other Qemu support forums that are more generic.

Nonetheless, if it's ok to ask around here, these are some things I had difficulty with, I hope you can give me some advice.

1. TAP Networking
The main difference between SLIRP (user mode) and TAP is that TAP is more performant, however TAP needs either a bridge or a NAT set up for it to work. I've successfully set up a bridge and I have connection in my guests, but only at home where I can connect my laptop to the Ethernet. The bridge stops working on wi-fi. So when I have a wireless connection I would need to set up NAT but I have no idea how that is done. Any tips? Or is there an alternative way?

2. Keyboard troubles
My laptop has a Spanish keyboard, but I couldn't get Qemu to use the proper keymap. I've tried:
  • - With and without -machine usb=on -device usb-kbd
    - With and without a "-k" option: -k es, -k en-us, en-gb, no -k
Then inside the Linux guest I type "$ loadkeys es" and the keymap changes but not to the correct one: the Spanish "ñ" appears but in a different position, and the punctuation characters are also changed. Doing "loadkeys us" also produces an incorrect US layout. This happens with every combination of "-device usb-kbd" and "-k" that I have mentioned.
Any way to solve this?

3. CPU host
If I select "-cpu host" the VM does not start, but it works fine (albeit slow) with "-cpu qemu64". Is it possible that my CPU is not supported? I have an i5-4200M.

4. Misc options
This options were suggested for a Windows host on a stackexchange post:

Code: Select all

-parallel none -serial none -no-acpi -no-hpet -no-reboot
Do you recommend them as well? Why are they required?

5. Audio
Which soundhw do you recommend, sb16 or hda?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Other Qemu support forums? Plus some Windows questions

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I'm sorry, but it seems we have limited knowledge about the issues you address.
There is a qemu user mailing list you could write to:
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-discuss/

I did, however, run a small test with plan9, and it booted OK with just:
qemu-system-x86_64.exe -L pc-bios -boot d -cdrom plan9.iso -hda plan9.qcow2 -net nic -net user -sdl -soundhw sb16

Best,
Cat_7