Installing SheepShaver over COI 4.0.1 («Chubby Bunny»)

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Installing SheepShaver over COI 4.0.1 («Chubby Bunny»)

Post by rlesperance »

Hi,

This morning my COI 4.0.1 didn't startup. I installed COI and it worked perfectly the first time: zero configuration, no error messages nor glitches, and above all, no files or CD to find. It has been working for a year without a glitch.

I don't know what is going wrong. It launches and quits as fast. I don't understand what is working wrong. I decided to give SheepShaver (SS) another try. COI does not launch, but SS does using the previous COI pref file. So SS points to COI's ROM file and shared folder. These file are nested in COI.

I want to create a distinct version of SS, not pointing to COI. Do I understand that I will need a Mac OS CD install even if I have found the ROM file ? Is there a way to get those file from my COI installation that lauches when I use SS ?

Regards.

Robert Lespérance
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Re: Installing SheepShaver over COI 4.0.1 («Chubby Bunny»)

Post by rlesperance »

Update .... I have found the Mac OS system package inside COI and was able to use it with the «new ROM» to configure a new setup with SheepShaver 2.3.20091025. I followed all the indicated steps and everything seem to be working OK. That being done, my OS 9 desktop has now 2 empty drives:

• a Unix drive = my shared folder in OS X = ±1000MB
• a virtual drive of 400MB

Why do I need both ? I could easily put all my data on the Unix drive ... How can I resize the Unix drive ?

Regards.

Robert Lespérance
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello Robert,

You must have a system drive on which the Mac OS is installed.

The shared (Unix) drive always says "1000Mb" even when you have lots of space on your host system, so that is no issue. You don't need and can't resize it. But never put data on it on which you want to work from SheepShaver. My best advice is to always copy your stuff to a real drive inside SheepShaver and copy it back to use it in your host when done.

The 400Mb drive might be a remnant of COI pre-made drive? You can delete it by using the SheepShaver preferences editor (opens under the SheepShaver menu) to remove it from the volumes list.

Best,
Cat_7
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hi Cat_7,

The setup instructions (http://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepsh ... os_x_setup) states:
Volumes

You can now proceed with creating the disk image file that will be the virtual hard disk on the emulated Mac. Click the “Create…” button.

Choose an appropriate name for the image file, for instance MacOS9. (An extension .dsk will be suggested, but no extension is needed.) Choose a size for the volume (for instance 500MB or 1000MB) and save the file in the SheepShaver folder. (Creating a large disk image may take a while after the “Save” button is clicked. Wait till the dialog closes and the created volume appears in the Volumes list.)

(If a install CD disk image file is used instead of a real install CD: Use the “Add…” button to find and “Open” the CD disk image file. The file will appear in the Volumes list below the created volume. See also the information above, under “You need a Mac OS install CD”, about using a disk image file.)
This is my error. From the above instructions, I created both volumes. The second volume should have been only «added». I think, I misunderstood the instructions in the second part stating :«The file will appear in the Volumes list below the created volume (I thought it referred to the first created volume).». So I deleted the second 400MB volumes.

You also stated: «But never put data on it on which you want to work from SheepShaver.» Why cannot I put data on this volume ? Do you mean that you recommend to used the UNIX volume only to move document from OS 9 to OS X and never save data on it ? With COI, I have been using it to store a «symlink folder» of the data located on the OS X side. My original data is always on the OS x side. In the event that I loose the shared folder, I always have the original files on the OS X side. The OS 9 app works on the symlink data in the shared folder. This way my files are always and automatically synced with Dropbox on the . I have been working on this symlink data with the OS 9 app without any problem.

Can you be more specific on what you mean by: «My best advice is to always copy your stuff to a real drive inside SheepShaver (I understand the SheepShaver app folder) and copy it back to use it in your host (???) when done». How do I save a copy of the data resulting from the OS 9 app on the OS X side automatically ? Do you do that manually everytime ?

Thanks for your comment and precious help. Regards.

Robert Lespérance

P.S. Is it normal that I don't have any sound on the OS side anymore ? With COI, sound was OK.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

My best advice is to always copy your stuff to a real drive inside SheepShaver (I understand the SheepShaver app folder) and copy it back to use it in your host (???) when done»
Yes, that is what I meant. The idea is to copy files to a real volume that you use in SheepShaver, and not to edit files directly on the Unix drive or edit files placed on the SheepShaver desktop from the Unix drive. There used to be problems with the shared drive. They have been solved, but still we recommend this course of action as a precaution. However, if you have been working successfully with your setup, of course you can continue ;-)

About sound: Are you using the same disk image with Mac OS installed as earlier with COI? Or did you do a new install of Mac OS in between? And are you using the same rom as in COI? I assume yes to both questions. Did you go to the sound control panel and select "built-in" as device for sound output?
And do you have sound enabled in the preferences editor?

Best,
Cat_7
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

The folder located in the shared folder isn't it a «real» folder since I can really see it on the OS X side ?
The folders, whether symlinks or not, are very real to the Finder on both sides.
So for the risks of loosing data, there isn't really a risk.
There may not be a risk anymore with current SheepShaver versions, but in the past we had problems with all of the hosts HD becoming unusable with all files seemingly disappearing. So we rather stay on the safe side with our advice.
For the sound problem, [...] What more can I do ?
Download these scripts: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... pts_UB.zip
Have SheepShaver not running. Run the "Zap PRAM" script. Then launch SheepShaver and again select "Built-in" for the Output device in Sound control panel. Does it stick now?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason:  
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for the advice ... but nothing has changed. Do you have another clue ?

I was wondering if there is a way to quit my OS 9 app by script from the OS X side ? I get my script to tell SheepShaver to quit, but the OS 9 app requires a confirmation (a button to be pressed).

P.S. It's funny why does your last reply looks like it is my own post ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

rlesperance wrote:P.S. It's funny why does your last reply looks like it is my own post ?
Because I apparently made a mistake and edited your post (I can do that as moderator) instead of quote-reply to it. Sorry for that.
Thanks for the advice ... but nothing has changed. Do you have another clue ?
You mean about the sound problem? No, sorry.
I was wondering if there is a way to quit my OS 9 app by script from the OS X side ? I get my script to tell SheepShaver to quit, but the OS 9 app requires a confirmation (a button to be pressed).
No, that is not possible. The emulated machine must be shut down first before SheepShaver can be quit. (Otherwise the effect on the emulated machine would be equivalent to disconnecting the power on a running computer.)