The document "XYZ" could not be opened ....

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Clayton
Space Cadet

The document "XYZ" could not be opened ....

Post by Clayton »

" The document "XYZ" could not be opened, becuase the application that created it could not be found. "

I am running Lion.

I recently installed COI Chubby Bunny 4.01 (Classic on Intel) and it works beautifully but there is no software installed. I desperately would like to access some documents created on Word 3.0 which I managed to salvage but which no modern word processor is able to open.

When I try to install FullWrite (sit) I get the above message. When I try to install Stuffit 5.5 (Classic Application) or 7.03 (bin). I have managed to move these files from the Unix/Share volume to the 400MB volume, so that is not the issue. So that's classic application, bin, sit formats that can't be installed. What am I doing wrong?

There does not seem to be a version of StuffIt in the COI install (why??) and I cannot figure out how to install one, or how to install or open any application

I can find no guidance anywhere on the Net about this problem, so I wonder if I am the only one? It seems like a huge, immediate, and insoluble problem that if others faced it would render SheepShaver totally useless. In any case, it has really frustrated me.

Any guidance greatly appreciated!!!

Thx
Clayton
Space Cadet

Re: The document "XYZ" could not be opened ....

Post by Clayton »

I have also tried files of type "smi" and "HFV". Again, I'm just a bit lost and trying everything. It is amazing to me that the emulator works so well and yet something so simple as opening any file or installing any application is so difficult and frustrating. Thanks for any help!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

To install Stuffit Expander 5.5, you can download "stuffit_expander_55.bin" from this Emaculation wiki page: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/downloads
You can expand the .bin file in Lion, transfer the resulting Expander Installer to the shared folder, and copy it from the 'Unix' disk to one of the other volumes. You should then be able to run the installer.

(A .smi (self mounting image) should work fine in OS9 after being copied from the 'Unix' disk to one of the other volumes.)
Clayton
Space Cadet

Post by Clayton »

Thank you so much for responding!

So, the problem persists.

I placed the following files in the Shared/Unix folder under OSX Lion
1. A file created in 1990 with Microsoft Word 3.0 of kind "Document"
2. fullwrite206installer.sit of kind "StuffIt Archive"
3. fullwrite206installer (the file resulting from expanding #2 above) of type "Application (Classic)"
4. stuffit_expander_55.bin of kind "MacBinary Archive"
5. Aladdin Expanderª 5.5 Installer (the file resulting from expanding #4 above) of type "Application (Classic)"
6. StuffItDeluxe_7_0_3.smi of type "Self Mounting Image"

Problem: 1 None of #3, #5 or #6 (the "Application (Classic)" files with the red slash through them and "Self Mounting Image") file appears AT ALL in the Unix drive. I renamed #5 to simply "Installer" in case the complexity of the name caused Mac OS9 difficulties. This had no effect.

I copied the files that did appear in the Unix volume over to the volume "800Meg" under Mac OS9.

Problem 2: Double clicking on any file that does appear in the Unix volume and is copied over to the 800Meg volume results in the same familiar error:
"The document "fullwrite206installer.sit" could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators"

I shut down and restarted SheepShaver. No effect.

Any guidance?? I feel I'm so close to getting this to work, and yet so far away ... :(

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Clayton wrote:Problem 2: Double clicking on any file that does appear in the Unix volume and is copied over to the 800Meg volume results in the same familiar error:
"The document "fullwrite206installer.sit" could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators"
I wouldn't call this a problem. This message simply tells you that there is no Word application to open the Word file and no application like Stuffit Expander to expand the .sit and .bin files.
Problem: 1 None of #3, #5 or #6 (the "Application (Classic)" files with the red slash through them and "Self Mounting Image") file appears AT ALL in the Unix drive.
Those are the Classic applications, but on my Lion system I do not see a red slash through them, rather a grey 'prohibited' traffic sign. If I try this with Aladdin Expander Installer in my normal SheepShaver setup, the application appears fine in the 'Unix' disk.

I also tried with COI and Aladdin Expander in /Users/Shared/. (COI overwrites the ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file and sets extfs to /Users/Shared/). Again, the Aladdin Expander Installer appears fine in the 'Unix' disk.

I wonder about that red slash you mention. That is not normal. Are you sure the files are intact? Did you use any specific application to expand the stuffit_expander_55.bin file other than the default Archive Utility in OSX Lion?
Clayton
Space Cadet

Post by Clayton »

Sorry, actually it is a grey "prohibited" sign, sorry for the imprecision of the description.

So do you just mean you expanded the stuffit_expander_55.bin under Lion and dropped it into the Shared folder and it appeared fine in the Unix folder under Mac OS9?

Why would it be that only files that have no association under COI appear in the Unix volume. Files that should actually launch and install or do something do not appear, so I can't copy them to the local 800Meg volume and launch them?

Are there any trouble-shooting steps you could recommend? Is there any reason why certain files simply do not appear in the Unix volume even when placed in the Shared folder? Am I the only one in the world that has encountered this problem … ?

Also, is there a link or a tip on how to update COI with the latest SheepShaver files? I've seen it mentioned in the forums but no one bothers to give even a hint as to how it is accomplished.

Thank you!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

There is indeed a problem with older SheepShaver versions (as included in COI) and the shared folder. Sometimes files disappear.
COI keeps its SheepShaver program in Classic/COI/Contents/MacOS/

To get there, click Show Package Content from the contextual menu on "Classic" and then again on "COI" and open the "Contents/MacOS" folder. You'll see the actual SheepShaver program (black icon)

To replace the SheepShaver version, you need to download our latest and greatest version and do three things:
1. open the SheepShaver package with the same Show Package Content command, go to the "Contents/Mac OS" folder and copy the SheepShaver program (black icon) to the Mac OS folder you opened above.
2. from the opened SheepShaver package, copy the folder called "Frameworks" into the "Classic/COI/Contents/" folder.
3. Open the COI preferences file Classic/COI/hih1 with textedit to change "ignoresegv false" to " ignoresegv true" and save the file.

COI doesn't use SheepShaver's standard preferences file, which makes it impossible to use SheepShaver's built-in preferences editor to change e.g., the screen resolution or add or remove disks.

My tip would be to start a fresh SheepShaver installation with our version.

Best,
Cat_7