newbie with dumb newbie questions

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

RustyShackleford
Space Cadet

newbie with dumb newbie questions

Post by RustyShackleford »

Ok, I just got Sheepshaver working on my 1st-gen Intel Mac Pro running Snow Leopard, with 9.0.4 running in SS. Two issues:

Is there a way to have the OS9 window be larger than 1024x856 pixels ? If I go to Control Panels -> Monitors inside OS9, that is the biggest rez listed. Although there is a pulldown called Resolution with Show: Recommended checked. But "Recommended" seems to be the only choice.

For some reason, not all my OS9 apps are showing up. In particular, one called ClarisDraw. Most of my OS9 apps are there in an Applications(OS9) folder in a Desktop Folder under /Users/Shared in OSX; but a few, ClarisDraw, Framemaker, TOPO!, Palm Desktop, are not there. Coincidentally or not, these are the ones that primarily prompted me to get SS up in the first place - sigh.

I am doing this using the 4.0.1 version of Chubby Bunny. Perhaps that is the problem ? It incorporates an old version of SS ?

Thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: newbie with dumb newbie questions

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I moved your topic here. COI Chubby Bunny is one of the configurations that we do not support.
Is there a way to have the OS9 window be larger than 1024x856 pixels ?
No. That is a limitation of COI Chubby Bunny. In the original SheepShaver you can set it to any value easily.

You can change the default that is buried inside COI:
Right click on COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny" > Show Package Contents
Right click on COI > Show Package Contents
Open hih1 (opens in TextEdit)
Edit the line screen win/1024/855 to the values you want (the values should preferably be even numbers)
For some reason, not all my OS9 apps are showing up. In particular, one called ClarisDraw. Most of my OS9 apps are there in an Applications(OS9) folder in a Desktop Folder under /Users/Shared in OSX; but a few, ClarisDraw, Framemaker, TOPO!, Palm Desktop, are not there.
I am not sure how you set this up. The best way to use applications in the emulator is to install them in the emulated machine itself.
I am doing this using the 4.0.1 version of Chubby Bunny. Perhaps that is the problem ? It incorporates an old version of SS ?
Chubby Bunny does contain an older version of SheepShaver, but that is not the cause of its limitations. Even when you replace the SheepShaver version inside Chubby Bunny with a newer one (which is possible) it will not solve your issues.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
RustyShackleford
Space Cadet

Thanks Ronald; I wasn't sure which forum I should use.

It's been suggested I look at something called Appleworks, which may contain a drawing program like ClarisDraw - which is the only reason I really care about Sheepshaver.

Looking at that, it seems like it may be obsolete sometime soon too. There's something promising-looking called EazyDraw. Not cheap at $95, but maybe worth it to avoid hassling with Sheepshaver.
macomaniac
Student Driver

Post by macomaniac »

Hi RustyShackleford!

It has been suggested on some forums that 'Intaglio' were able to take back on a Mac OS X Intel platform the documents created by ClarisDraw in Mac OS 9 or Classic. You can try the 'demo' through this link : http://www.purgatorydesign.com/Intaglio/
RustyShackleford
Space Cadet

Thanks, I'll check Intaglio out !