SCSI Drum Scanner

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

keller212
Space Cadet

SCSI Drum Scanner

Post by keller212 »

Hi all.
Got a question for the guru's.
I have Qemu on my Windows 10 desktop PC emulating Mac OS 9.2
I have a PCI SCSI Card installed in the PC & an old SCSI drum scanner for scanning film.
The software for the scanner only exists for Mac Os Classic & i don't have an old PPC Macintosh.

Is it anyway possible to get this setup to work ?
Otherwise is there any other way i could do it without getting a PPC Mac ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !
Cheers
:)

EDIT: I forgot to add, if there is only specific PCI SCSI cards that i can use to get it to work i am willing to hunt down which ever one i need.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: SCSI Drum Scanner

Post by adespoton »

https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/VirtioSCSI looks like it may be what you're looking for; currently, it's only available on Linux.

But you can try presenting the device in the QEMU config line and see if it gets recognized; beyond that, you may be able to find a generic SCSI driver that'll work under Windows 10 -- but that's likely going to involve a significant amount of experimentation and research to get working.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

VMware Fusion seems to be able to access SCSI devices: https://pubs.vmware.com/workstation-9/i ... F33B9.html
So if you don't succeed in accomplishing your goal in a more direct way, you might try installing a Linux system in VMware Fusion and using QEMU with VirtioSCSI as mentioned by adespoton.

If VirtioSCSI itself works but MacOS 9 isn't able to use the SCSI card for some reason, you might try OS X 10.4 PPC with MacOS 9 in Classic Mode.

An emulator in a VM will slow down things a little. But that shouldn't matter much as your drum scanner takes its time for the scan process anyway.

If you can't find a way to make the scanner work, just give it to me and I'll run it on my PowerMac 7500/100 ;-)
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Is the Mac scanner driver PPC only or FatBinary 68k/PPC?
If it is 68k and PPC, there is a good chance it will work with MacOS 8.1 too.
In that case Basilisk II Build 142 may be worth considering.
ASPI for your PCI SCSI HBA must be set up all right on the Windows host.
As you got that, Basilisk II Build 142 can address all kinds of SCSI devices.

Can´t harm to try. Setup is easy and Basilisk II is not picky with SCSI HBAs.
It could be troublesome to get ASPI working with Windows 10 64bit, a 32bit Windows may be preferrable.
keller212
Space Cadet

Post by keller212 »

Hi, thanks for the advice.

I ended up installing the latest Ubuntu & have installed all the Qemu files & Dependencies.
I have working drivers for my SCSI card on linux (There are no working drivers for Windows 10)
I've got an installed Mac OS 9.2.2 image for Qemu but i am having a nightmare trying to launch it with the correct arguments.
It seems to be different than the windows version.

As for the PCI SCSI card Pass-Through, i have no idea where to start.
Another note to mention is i have a Core i5 2500k CPU & a GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 Motherboard, which does not support VT-d but does support basic virtualization (VT-x)
As for IOMMU i don't know much about it.
Also if it helps the actual SCSI Card is a: Tekram Technology Co.,Ltd. TRM-S1040 [DC-315 / DC-395 series] [1de1:0391] (rev 01)
(Based on a NCR/Symbios/LSI Logic 53C8XX PCI SCSI host adapter)

Also I forgot to mention, i did install Basilisk II with Mac Os 8.1 successfully (Both in Windows & in Linux)
but the settings seem very limited in it, especially in regards to Device Pass-Through.

Also, how in Mac Os Classic can i see if the PCI SCSI controller is being detected (sort of like in "Device Manager" for Windows) ???

Is this at all possible ???
I would be forever grateful if anybody here could help me get this working !

Cheers
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Did you try Basilisk II Build 142 as Cat_7 published it here? https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... b/download
That build is the last one with SCSI (and floppy) support.
There is one little glitch with the CD-ROM driver on 64bit, as the CD_ROM enabler is 32bit only.
Just close the error window, when it pops up.
The SCSI pane in the BII setup is only active when ASPI setup in Windows was successful.
Build 142 does run with a 64 bit Windows on my side, but I gave away all SCSI stuff years ago.

From within Basilisk II Build 142, you may use e.g. SCSIProbe to check for connected devices.
Your SCSI HBA should show up as Device 7 (Macintosh). :)
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/scsiprobe

I had the same Tekram SCSI HBA as yours working fine with my Canon slides scanner via BII Build 142.
I seem to recall there was an ASPI installer on the Canon CDs too: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/canoscan-2700f
I found a XP (or lower) host OS most reliable.
Of course you would need a XP installer with sATA support for a try, I think DELL and others had one.
You can borrow a DVD at archive.org: https://archive.org/details/cd-roms?and ... rt=&page=2
Do you have the Tekram drivers on floppy or CD? Those will be 32bit only for sure too.
I think that your SandyBridge cpu does still work with XP with limitations - no AHCI, no USB3, no HD3000…
Maybe Windows 7 32bit would be worth a shot too. Many old XP drivers do still work with W7-32.

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

24bit wrote:There is one little glitch with the CD-ROM driver on 64bit, as the CD_ROM enabler is 32bit only.
Just close the error window, when it pops up.
To fix the error, you can follow this: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/cdenable.sys -- put cdenable.sys in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers

This doesn't make it work, but it gets rid of the error. In more recent versions of BII, cdenable.sys isn't needed to use the CD-ROM drive.
keller212
Space Cadet

Post by keller212 »

Ok
So i installed Win XP & set everything up.
I have now successfully mounted a SCSI HDD connected through the Tekram card in Mac OS 8.1 via Basilisk II.
I am now just waiting for a 50pin SCSI to Centronics Cable to get delivered & i can then test it with the scanner...
i'll post an update here when i can test it out.

Thank you very very much for the help !
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Nice work!
Is XP running on your i5-2500 computer or did you choose some vintage PC?
Just curiosity, as I never tried XP on SandyBridge.
keller212
Space Cadet

Post by keller212 »

I installed XP Pro on the i5-2500 as a dual-boot alongside Win 10
keller212
Space Cadet

UPDATE

Post by keller212 »

UPDATE:

Ok, i have the scanner connected & ASPI drivers are working. In BasiliskII, when i click on "Add" under a "Free SCSI slot" i can select "SCREEN|DT-S1030AI" (which is my scanner)

But when i boot into Macos 8.1 & i open SCSI Probe it has a "Dot" next to the SCSI slot i assigned (Free SCSI slot 5) indicating "No Data Found"
I also tried all other slots... One thing to mention is there is no driver for Windows. In Device Manager it gets detected as: (Other Devices: SCREEN DT-S1030AI SCSI Scanner Device)
keller212
Space Cadet

Post by keller212 »

UPDATE 2:

I tried a different SCSI Card & now it detects the scanner properly in "SCSI Probe"....
Now.. When i load the scan software in MacOS, instead of the "SCSI Error" i was getting with the Tekram,
windows crashes with a BSOD & it says something about "asc3550.sys" which is the new SCSI Card driver.

The new SCSI Card is a: Iwill Side 2936UW-E (With a Advansys ASC3550B chip)
I couldn't find Xp drivers for it, so i just let Windows automatically install the driver.

Any further advice would be appreciated !
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Sorry to hear about your mischief. :(
I can´t see a XP driver either, only found this: https://download.driverguide.com/driver ... d9378.html
Thats for a 2935 of course, not for your 2936.
Seems that iWill 2935 was hardly running with XP, telling from a forum entry in 2003:
At last a reply from Iwill:-
"Sorry sir, because the SCSI chip stopped support for years, so this SCSI card really doesn't have XP driver,
WindowsXP has no driver build in too, so you cannot use WindowsXP with this SCSI card, for your reference.
As said before, Tekram was working for me.
Did you install the Tekram HBA correctly in XP?
The scanner should be seen by SCSI Probe, when the setup on the host was successful.

If anything else fails, a PC running Windows 98SE should solve SCSI HBA issues.
A long shot, but maybe still easier than finding a SCSI Power Mac?
keller212
Space Cadet

Post by keller212 »

I have decided to try to re-visit Qemu in Ubuntu.
I've setup the virtual machine with mac os 9.2.1 but i have no clue where to begin in regards to assigning the SCSI Device.
All the references to Virtio-SCSI on the web are related to SCSI Storage devices...

This i the LSSCSI -g result:

[0:0:5:0] scanner SCREEN DT-S1030AI 0305 - /dev/sg2
[0:0:5:1] scanner SCREEN DT-S1030AI 0305 - /dev/sg3
[0:0:5:2] scanner SCREEN DT-S1030AI 0305 - /dev/sg4
[0:0:5:3] scanner SCREEN DT-S1030AI 0305 - /dev/sg5
[0:0:5:4] scanner SCREEN DT-S1030AI 0305 - /dev/sg6
[0:0:5:5] scanner SCREEN DT-S1030AI 0305 - /dev/sg7
[0:0:5:6] scanner SCREEN DT-S1030AI 0305 - /dev/sg8
[0:0:5:7] scanner SCREEN DT-S1030AI 0305 - /dev/sg9
[1:0:0:0] disk ATA OCZ-VERTEX3 2.25 /dev/sda /dev/sg0
[2:0:0:0] disk ATA WDC WD20EZRZ-00Z 0A80 /dev/sdb /dev/sg1
[3:0:0:0] disk ATA TOSHIBA MK2555GS 5B /dev/sdc /dev/sg10