Mouse Cursor Freezes when Emulating Cheetah and Puma

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CamSox
Student Driver

Mouse Cursor Freezes when Emulating Cheetah and Puma

Post by CamSox »

Hello all, I downloaded cd images of Cheetah and Puma from WinWorldPC and set them up and everything, but when I go to boot to it and get to the installation screen in Cheetah/Puma, the cursor stays in the top left hand corner and won't move if I try to move it. I've also tried using an external USB mouse (I have a laptop). Here's whats in my qemu-command file if it helps (For Puma obviously):

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=Puma.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=Puma.img,format=raw,media=disk -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Mouse Cursor Freezes when Emulating Cheetah and Puma

Post by Cat_7 »

For these version of OSX, try to use -M mac99 (without the ,via=pmu) on the command line.

Best,
Cat_7
CamSox
Student Driver

Post by CamSox »

Success! Thank you! However, when going through the setup, it does not detect any destination volume to install the OS, despite having a hard drive image in my QEMU folder.

I really appreciate the help, thank you so much!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Qemu behaves just like a real mac with a new disk: you need to use disk utility to partition and format the disk before it becomes available to the installer.

Best,
Cat_7