Problem installing OS X Developer Preview 4 in Windows 10.

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jonirob
Tinkerer

Problem installing OS X Developer Preview 4 in Windows 10.

Post by jonirob »

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I've installed Developer Previews 2 and 3 in QEMU by firstly pre-formatting a 2GB drive using Mac OS 9.1 in QEMU. Then successfully installing DP2 and 3 with this command line:

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -m 256 -hda ./dp3.img -cdrom ./dp3.iso -boot d -prom-env "boot-device=cd:9,\\:tbxi" -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "boot-args=-v"

With DP4 though, it hangs at "Still Waiting For Root Device".

I've tried changing the machine type to mac99, but it just hangs at the Open Bios.

I've also tried "boot-device=hd:9,\\:tbxi" which opens the installer, but with no hard disk to install it on.

Can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong.
jonirob
Tinkerer

Re: Problem installing OS X Developer Preview 4 in Windows 1

Post by jonirob »

Update:

I've found the solution.

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "boot-device=hd:9,\\:tbxi" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=dp4.iso,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=dp4.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

So at what point in the process are you using that second command line? Is that for post-install booting of DP4, using the booter from partition 9 on dp4.iso? I notice you're treating the CD as a HD image (which would be needed, as you've got -boot c in there as well, which won't let you boot off a CD).
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

Yes, I've used the second command to launch the installer.

I've installed it twice with "boot c" in the command and it installs cleanly.

For post install booting I've used:

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=dp4.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01