os X 10.0 stuck on boot from hardrive.

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

macjack123
Student Driver

os X 10.0 stuck on boot from hardrive.

Post by macjack123 »

Hi I installed os X 10.0 using this script

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 3192 \
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' \
-drive file=Cheetos.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom \
-drive file=cheetah.img,format=raw,media=disk \
-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 \
-device VGA,edid=on \
now after the installation i changed boot flag from c to d and its stuck on yellow screen trying hd:\\tbxi
macjack123
Student Driver

Re: os X 10.0 stuck on boot from hardrive.

Post by macjack123 »

ok i got it fix using this command
qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 3192 -drive file=cheetah.img,format=raw,index=0,media=disk
echo -e '\033[0;32m[+] Mac Start Success!'

however can increase the amount of cpu it seems quite slow? and also there is no sound!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: os X 10.0 stuck on boot from hardrive.

Post by adespoton »

First off, you're going to want to decrease -m 3192 to something more sane for a computer of the time, like 1024. 10.0 and 10.1 can have issues when you give them more memory than that.

Second, you're going to want to enable the sound to get sound. Assuming you're using the screamer-enabled build from here, sound should work (sort of).

As far as increasing CPU, you can do that from the terminal on your host OS using the renice command, or possibly from Activity Monitor (been a while since I've checked whether this still allows you to manage niceness). Just bump the priority and the number of cores allocated.

But even with all that, 10.0 is essentially bloated beta software full of debug code; it was slow on actual hardware back in the day; the OS wasn't really usable for day-to-day things until 10.2.