Game "Vikings" now tried in QEMU

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Fingon
Space Cadet

Game "Vikings" now tried in QEMU

Post by Fingon »

(I am aware this isn't about the Sheepshaver anymore, sorry)

So, I went and downloaded the QEMU from the official website, then installed the OS9.2 as described in your guide and eventually I was able to start the game. The video is there, but no sound at all in the whole emulation (which won't come as a surprise to you I guess).

So I re-read the instructions, downloaded the build with screamer sound (
23-08-2019: Qemu 4.1 with screamer sound support.) but now I am unable even to boot the system - I create the batch file as described, I run it - cmd window blinks, disappears and nothing happens. Where oh where did I make a mistake this time...

EDIT: my bad. Create OR EDIT the bat file... Now it boots. Let's see if I will have sound this time...

EDIT 2: sadly, the results are actually worse. Not only I still don't have any sound but the videos almost don't play at all, they appear almost static.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved post from SheepShaver forum to QEMU forum
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Game "Vikings" now tried in QEMU

Post by adespoton »

You need to have Virtual Memory enabled for sound to work smoothly.
Fingon
Space Cadet

Post by Fingon »

Noob question, does this have to be done in guest or in host? And yes, I do have only 4GB RAM... (that's possibly too little for a smooth emulation?)

https://imgur.com/0XIoJFK

https://imgur.com/SyBOuEa
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That should be done in the guest, but a normal 9.x installation already has virtual memory enabled.
Mac OS would run perfectly in 128Mb, so if you can spare that there should be no problem.

You say you have no sound at all? Did you copy everything from the download? Or only the qemu-system-ppc program?
You also need the pc-bios folder, so it would be best to unzip the qemu-screamer download into a new folder, and only copy your currently working qemu.bat into the new folder. You can test audio by playing a sound in the sound control panel.

Best,
Cat_7

ps: I sent you a personal message.
Fingon
Space Cadet

Post by Fingon »

The bios folder is there, i have unpacked everything as it was in the archive.

I have adjusted the .bat file according to your instructions from the pm (added the line where the iso of the first cd of the game is booted, too).

The sound didn`t want want to play at first but after I switched screens with alt-tab it did appear after all. Sadly, my processor is only 2 GB so the videos run very slowly and choppy. I wonder if it could help to disable the installed Quicktime and install the lower version provided with the game.

I will also try to kill some more processes in the host, but...

Last question, can I somehow disable the mac banner that appears in the lower left edge of the emulated screen? It remains even after the game starts and I was only able to minimalize it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The control strip (I beleive you mean that by "banner") disappears by itself in my installation when the game starts its 640x480 screen. If you don need the control strip, you can disable it. It will probably be a control panel or extension.
I do not know whether disabling the current Quicktime installation and installing the V3 included with the game will actually speed up the game. I but I guess it will not. Emulation is processor-intensive business ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
Fingon
Space Cadet

Post by Fingon »

Thanks for all the help, I have tried it on a better pc configuration (to which, sadly, I don't have access all the time) and the settings work without a hitch. I am looking forward to play (once I get the opportunity).