Disk not recognized by eMac OS 9.2.2 installer (FreeBSD host

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Space Cadet

Disk not recognized by eMac OS 9.2.2 installer (FreeBSD host

Post by 384748 »

I am running FreeBSD 12.0, QEMU version 3.1.1.

I believe have followed the instructions here:
https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Pla ... _OS_X_10.4

Code: Select all

# qemu-img create -f qcow2 disk.img 10G
Formatting 'disk.img', fmt=qcow2 size=10737418240 cluster_size=65536 lazy_refcounts=off refcount_bits=16
# qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -M mac99 -m 512 -hda disk.img   -cdrom ./eMac\ Mac\ OS\ 9\ Install\ 9.2.2\ 691-3482-A.img  -boot d  -vnc :1
The system boots and I launch the installer. However it says,
"A valid destination disk cannot be found.
To continue the installation process, mount a valid volume for software installation."
The Destination Disk select field is grayed out.

Surprisingly, I can actually hit "Select". It then indicates that it is going to install on the installation disk itself. I have not tried to actually proceed with that.

I have also tried adding the "via=pmu" option.

I should note that in the installer's System Profiler, the hard drive appears to be recognized. (QEMU is the vendor, etc).

Thank you
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Disk not recognized by eMac OS 9.2.2 installer (FreeBSD

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I believe your issue lies in the disk types/formats you assigned.
qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -M mac99 -m 512 -hda disk.img -cdrom ./eMac\ Mac\ OS\ 9\ Install\ 9.2.2\ 691-3482-A.img -boot d -vnc :1
Your cdrom should be an iso file, I believe qemu currently sees it as a hard disk (due to the .img extension), even though you say it should be a cdrom.
So, rename the cdrom image to ./eMac\ Mac\ OS\ 9\ Install\ 9.2.2\ 691-3482-A.iso
And provide a format for the hard disk image like this: -drive file=disk.img,format=qcow2,media=disk
If you want to use the same syntax for the cdrom entry, use -drive file=./eMac\ Mac\ OS\ 9\ Install\ 9.2.2\ 691-3482-A.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom

You should also prevent order issues by mentioning the cdrom first on your command line when using -boot d
After installation, reverse the order of the disks and use -boot c (if you want to keep the cdrom mounted on the desktop). Otherwise, remove the cdrom entry.

Please note your Qemu version is rather old. We are currently at version 4.1. There have been many improvements to ppc emulation since.

Best,
Cat_7
Space Cadet

Post by 384748 »

Thank you for the response. So I have tried:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -M mac99 -m 512   -drive file=./eMac\ Mac\ OS\ 9\ Install\ 9.2.2\ 691-3482-A.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=./disk.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk  -boot d  -vnc :1
Unfortunately this did not work. I wonder if there is some issue with the fact that I am using FreeBSD, or the old version. I can try to acquire a newer version in the meantime.

I am also not sure if the CD image is an ISO. I believe it may be an Apple Partition Map image (I used dd to copy it from the disc). Anyway, the emulator does appear to be able to read it.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

How far do you actually get when booting that cd image?

Best,
Cat_7
Space Cadet

Post by 384748 »

I am able to boot into the CD fine, and I am able to launch the installer application.

It is within the installer window that I am unable to select the Destination Disk for the installation. However even when I launch the System Profiler, still booted from the CD, it indicates that it recognizes that hardware is present in the first IDE slot.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Ah,

You are missing an essential step. You need to initialise the disk, as you would on a real mac when you present a new disk to the system.
So start the Drive setup program on the CD and initialise the disk. After that, you can install.

Best,
Cat_7
Space Cadet

Post by 384748 »

Thank you, that did it. Sorry, it has been some time since I've worked with this software!

So the thread is now solved.