Mac "Control" Key in OS 9.2.2 guest in Windows 10 Host

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Roemer
Space Cadet

Mac "Control" Key in OS 9.2.2 guest in Windows 10 Host

Post by Roemer »

Hello all

I successfully setup an OS 9.2.2 machine in my Windows 10 host.
I am even able to transfer files between those two by using a ftp server on Windows and Interarchy's FTP-Disk (helpful when printing files, just print them to PDF with Adobe Acrobat 5, place them in the shared folder, open the pdf in Windows and print however you like).

But the thing I did not figure out is how to get the "mac control key" (apple key) to work. I see that it is pressed but for almost all combinations, anything in the Windows host happens and therefore the focus to the Mac machine is lost.

This is pretty crucial, as things like apple-f (find), apple-w (close), apple-q (quit), apple-p (print) really help with the workflow in MacOS 9.

The best I found so far is to just kill explorer.exe while I work in the emulated mac. Then most commands work (apple-p still not). But this cannot be the solution.

Has anybody found a way? Maybe define another key then the Windows key as Apple key? Or make QEMU not forward the Windows key presses to Windows?

Many thanks for help!
Roman
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Mac "Control" Key in OS 9.2.2 guest in Windows 10 Host

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You did not get an answer yet. I do not know the answer because I do not use QEMU on Windows, but I can clarify your question.

What you call the "Mac 'control' key", and what was called the "Apple key" in the old days, is now long called the "command-key".

So what you are asking is where to find the Mac command-key on your Windows 10 machine keyboard while running MacOS 9.2.2 in QEMU.
Roemer
Space Cadet

Re: Mac "Control" Key in OS 9.2.2 guest in Windows 10 Host

Post by Roemer »

Yes exactly. I think I cannot edit the title anymore?
Actually, I know that there is a mapping which maps the Windows key to the Mac command key. I can see in Mac Os 9 "Key Caps" that the right key is pressed. The problem now is that almost all Windows + any-key combinations fire something inside Windows, which forces the MacOS "Window" to loose focus and therefore does not get the keys.
If it would help anyone, I could provide access (via RDP or VNC) to a Windows VM in case someone wants to try some things with key-mappings or such.