Please help! QtEMU on Windows 10 (64-bit) to run Mac OS 9.2.

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

kikkoman
Master Emulator

Please help! QtEMU on Windows 10 (64-bit) to run Mac OS 9.2.

Post by kikkoman »

Hello everyone, long time no post!

Background: I'm making somewhat of a return to the Mac emulation scene, after more than a decade (give or take a few years). Would like to use QEMU to see how my new custom gaming PC would handle emulating Mac OS 9.2.2. I have mostly given up on Sheepshaver, since I couldn't get it to run under Windows 10 (Professional) 64-bit.

My Hardware: I'm not going to list my hardware specs at the moment. But what I will mention is that I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD, and I have all my other stuff, including as many QEMU-related stuff (HDD images, CD ISO images, the batch file, etc) on a separate HDD. Why? Because I want to reduce the amount of WRITES to my SSD as possible... I'm trying to do everything I possibly can, to prolong the life of my hardware! That being said, my HDD can take the kind of abuse associated with multi-gigabyte installations, edits, and deletions............ so, yeah, that's what I am using.

Situation: I've installed QEMU and QtEMU (the GUI front-end). I've managed to install Mac OS on a new HDD image, using the guide shown here: (https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... or-windows). But for now, that's as far as I've gotten; I've done nothing else.

Question: If possible (at all), how can/should I create a new 'machine', with from within QtEMU that can be used to boot off of the HDD image I just created? Or....... for regular usage, are we only supposed to use the Windows 10 command line (or the batch file)? Its rather cumbersome, and I'd much prefer launching from the QtEMU front end for better control and better assurance that, if I need to make any changes to my configuration, I won't miss or forget anything.

Observation/Opinion: I think it'd be good to add to the QEMU setup guide (mentioned above), different kinds of directory configurations and recommendations.... because to absolute command line novices (myself included... I am a novice... don't judge me!), that kind of setup is not particularly intuitive.
Machines:
  • iMac G3/600 (Summer 2001; DVD-ROM); Lubuntu 16.04
  • Compaq Presario V2000; Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
  • HP Media Center PC m7780n; Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon; Win 10 64-bit
  • Custom AMD 3950X gaming PC; Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon; Win 10 64-bit
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Please help! QtEMU on Windows 10 (64-bit) to run Mac OS

Post by Cat_7 »

Ah yes, the desire for a GUI might be broadly shared. However, as Qemu moves on such a GUI would need to be flexible enough to understand changing features or be updated every time. I haven't seen anyone dedicated enough to do that. Only libvirt on Linux host might be considered complete and supported.

The GUI you mention, for instance, does not understand the possibility to emulate PPC machines. It seems constrained to x86 emulation.

Best,
Cat_7
jonirob
Tinkerer

Re: Please help! QtEMU on Windows 10 (64-bit) to run Mac OS

Post by jonirob »

I also have Windows 10 Professional 64bit and Sheepshaver runs flawlessly on it.
kickerrr
Space Cadet

Re: Please help! QtEMU on Windows 10 (64-bit) to run Mac OS 9.2.

Post by kickerrr »

Kikkoman! Are you not Japser Chen from Lynbrook High School?