Qemu doesn't start

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

darthnvader
Mac Mechanic

Re: Qemu doesn't start

Post by darthnvader »

You'll have to let us know what type of printer you want to print to, and if it has Mac OS 9 drivers?

For a network printer hooked to a macOS machine's network, you should be able to turn on print sharing, and share it with Mac OS 9, even if it doesn't have OS 9 drivers.

This will require you to setup a TAP network with Qemu, as SLIP networking won't be able to see anything on your network, and you need to be on the same net/subnet as the macOS print server.
On the Panther Mac that the printer is physically connected to, you need to find out the printer's CUPS name. You can do this by typing lpstat -v in Terminal, or through the CUPS web interface. If you use lpstat -v, the name is the first part of the line listing the printer. For me it was HP_LaserJet_6P.

Use the Desktop Printer Utility on the OS 9 Mac to setup an lpr printer. Use the "Generic" PPD. The "Printer Address" is the IP address of your server, and the "Queue" is your USB printer's name.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Would this (or similar) procedure work for QEMU on Windows?
Apparently it worked for SheepShaver on Windows XP or 7.
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... =20&t=8219
qemucoordinates
Space Cadet

Post by qemucoordinates »

hi
may I ask how did you get Internet to work?

I managed to run OS 9.2.2 on Mac Catalina.
In the "Browse the Internet" setup dialog on the guest OS 9, I entered the same IP and Subnet mask from my Host computer's ethernet internet connection.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi

You do not need to run the browse internet setup assistant.
By default qemu-system-ppc provides a DHCP server to the guest. You only need to set:

Connect via: Ethernet
Configure: Using DHCP server

In the TCP/IP control panel to get an active internet connection. (Which also happens to be the default).

Best,
cat_7
Acid-Burn
Student Driver

Post by Acid-Burn »

How to renew the desktop file in Qemu macOS 9.2.2? cmd+alt at startup does not work.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

If you keyboard does not send that key combo, you can use the trash desktop tool.
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/trash-desktop-131

Best,
Cat_7
Acid-Burn
Student Driver

Post by Acid-Burn »

Cat_7 wrote:If you keyboard does not send that key combo, you can use the trash desktop tool.
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/trash-desktop-131

Best,
Cat_7
Perfect! THX!

I have a little prob on my second Mac with Sierra. I have install Serra Version of Experimental Qemu with Sound.

But i have not Sound and not Internet.