The document could not be opened

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

marcinp
Space Cadet

The document could not be opened

Post by marcinp »

Hi Everyone,

a newbie here. I have followed these great instructions (https://gist.github.com/openfirmware/a7 ... 0bd39d695d) and managed to instal qemu on my MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 machine. I have been trying to get some old programs running and I have encountered problems.

I have managed to load a disk visible to qemu. This is the command I have used:

./qemu-screamer/ppc-softmmu/qemu-system-ppc -L qemu-screamer/pc-bios -cpu "g4" -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 -hda macos92.img -boot c -g 1024x768x32 -device pci-ohci,id=ohci -drive if=none,id=cdrom,file=/Users/marcin/Desktop/Untitled.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -device usb-storage,bus=ohci.0,drive=cdrom

I can see the files now, but when trying to run the program I get an error message:

'The document "PulsarGenerator 2001" could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found"

I have created the new disk image in Disk Utility and then converted it with a command line tool into iso:

hdiutil convert /Users/marcin/Desktop/Untitled.dmg -format UDTO -o /Users/marcin/Desktop/Untitled.iso

NOTE: the actual disk created had an extension iso.cdr - I've just deleted the cdr bit (I don't know if that's the right way?)

What puzzles me also, why is "PulsarGenerator 2001" a document?

all the best

marcin
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: The document could not be opened

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Why are you using such an elaborate way to get a file into MacOS 9.2?
If you installed Mac OS 9.2 on a hfs+ image (img format, not qcow2 format), you can mount that image in your Sierra host. Then copy the program onto the disk image. I got mine from: https://www.curtisroads.net/software
Note that the program needs to be extracted inside Mac OS 9.2, as it says in the description on that website.
To do that I downloaded maczip 1.06 from the macintoshgarden.org and put it on the same disk.

Close (trash) the opened Mac OS img in Sierra, boot qemu screamer. Unpack maczip, drag the pulsargenerator zip file onto the maczip program. It will get extracted and then runs fine with all icons correctly displayed.

Best,
Cat_7
marcinp
Space Cadet

Post by marcinp »

thanks for a quick reply Cat_7

I thought that this is an elaborate approach indeed :/

However, when I tried earlier to mount macos92.img I got a message:

"The following disk images couldn't be opened. macos92.img no mountable file system"

m
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Could it be you installed Mac OS on a standard volume, not on a Mac OS extended volume?

If not, you can create a new img, add it to qemu as a second disk. Then initialize it as mac os extended.
Copy all your stuff onto the new disk. Quit Qemu and try to mount the image in Sierra.

Best
Cat_7
marcinp
Space Cadet

Post by marcinp »

thx Cat_7

I have reinstalled the MAC OS to be on Extended Volume. Unfortunately, still can't mount this drive in Sierra.

Cat_7 wrote:If not, you can create a new img, add it to qemu as a second disk. Then initialize it as mac os extended.
Copy all your stuff onto the new disk. Quit Qemu and try to mount the image in Sierra.
just to clarify: do I create a new img on qemu? if so I'm not sure how to do it. Where do I add the second disk? in the Terminal command?

best

m
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

If you compiled your own Qemu following those instructions, then you also have the qemu-img program.
Use it like this in the terminal: ./qemu-img create -f raw -o size=2G diskimagename.img

Then add the disk to your command line after the first drive entry:
-hdb diskimagename.img,format=raw,media=disk

So like this:
./qemu-screamer/ppc-softmmu/qemu-system-ppc \
-L qemu-screamer/pc-bios -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 -boot c \
-hda macos92.img \
-hdb diskimagename.img \
-g 1024x768x32

Start Qemu. Before getting to the desktop, Mac OS will ask you to initialize the new disk. Select Mac OS Extended as format.
Stop Mac OS after getting to the desktop.

Double-click the diskimagename.img in Sierra. Copy you stuff onto it, close the image and start Qemu again.

Best,
Cat_7