Keyboard and Mouse not working in Mac OS X 10.1.3 in Qemu3

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

sentosen
Space Cadet

Keyboard and Mouse not working in Mac OS X 10.1.3 in Qemu3

Post by sentosen »

Hi all,

I've recently been asked if I could install MacOS 9.2.1 and MacOS 10.1.3 for an elderly relative of mine (His old G3 packed up and he still needs all of his applications). The documentation here helped my successfully install 9.2.1 but I'm having some issues with 10.1.3. I can get to the install screen but the mouse and keyboard doesn't work.

Emulator: Qemu3
MacOS Version: 10.1.3

Here is the configuration I'm currently running:

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=MacOSXInstallCD.toast,format=raw,media=disk -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01 -cpu G3 -usb -device usb-host,hostbus=0,hostaddr=1

I have also tried using "-device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd" instead of "-device usb-host,hostbus=0,hostaddr=1" with the same issue.

I noticed in the startup logs that I'm getting the following errors:
USB: 19.612: AppleUSBMouse[0x212AE00]::start - unable to parse HID descriptor

[0x21000000] USB Generic Keyboard @ 6 (0xD320000)
/etc/rc.common: command not found: uname [23]

/etc/rc.common: command not found: getopt [45]

Any help would be much appreciated. Been stuck on this for awhile now and feel like I'm not getting anywhere with it. Thanks in advance!
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Keyboard and Mouse not working in Mac OS X 10.1.3 in Qem

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Are you installing on a Mac host?

This command line will get you further with 10.1:
./qemu-system-ppc \
-L pc-bios -boot d \
-M mac99 -m 512 \
-drive file=MacOSXInstallCD.toast,format=raw,media=disk

Where is the disk image on which you are going to install?

Best,
Cat_7
sentosen
Space Cadet

Post by sentosen »

Hi Cat_7,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am installing on a Mac host - it's an early 2008 iMac using an Intel Core 2 Duo running Yosemite (more recent OS' than that struggle to run on this iMac, unfortunately).

I got the disk image from macintoshgarden (https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-osx-mac-os-10-ppc - Download #7), I just renamed the file after downloading. Although, I do have the original install disk as well - I was having issues with it so thought I'd try it from another source which I appeared to be having more luck with until this issue occurred.

I tried the configuration you sent but it doesn't seem to get past the first QEMU screen, it just hangs on 'Trying cd:,\ppc\bootinfo.txt'.

Edit:
Ah, I changed the boot command from '-boot c' to '-boot d' there and it appears to be working now! Thank you so much, it recognises my keyboard and mouse now!!!! Absolutely made my day, thank you! I really appreciate your help!

I'm guessing I had too many parameters in there that may have been conflicting a bit?

Kind Regards,
sentosen
Last edited by sentosen on Sun May 10, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The issue was that 10.1 does not like the USB devices Qemu presents to it.
When you use mac99,via=pmu Qemu presents those devices. When you use only mac99, Qemu presents the old style adb bus mouse and keyboard.

Best,
Cat_7