Can't set the date correctly on Mac OS X Public Beta

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

superpantoufle
Space Cadet

Can't set the date correctly on Mac OS X Public Beta

Post by superpantoufle »

Hi there,

I can't set the date correctly to allow Mac OS X Public Beta to boot. I could install it fine and setup a new user account, but on the first reboot I get the infamous alert stating the Beta had expired. I'm using the latest available QUEMU build on a Catalina 10.15.4 host, and my 10.0 to 10.4 installs all work great. Having read most posts with the search terme "Public Beta" around here, the bash script I'm using is:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 128 \
-prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -rtc base="2000-09-14",clock=vm \
-drive file="10.0 Public Beta.img",format=raw,media=disk \
-device VGA,edid=on \
I used this script thought the install, so the emulated machine theoretically never had access to any network connection, but still managed to get the date wrong… Can somebody help understand what I'm not getting right? Thanks in advance!
From a Macintosh SE to a MacBook Air (2018) and a PowerHack G5. 33 years of (insanely great) addiction, and counting.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Can't set the date correctly on Mac OS X Public Beta

Post by Cat_7 »

Ha,

Your assumption is not correct. By default qemu sets this (id might be something else) even if not mentioned on the command line ;-)
-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

So you have a network connection from the start. To disable the network, set -net none.
Then disable network time sync in Mac OS. Shut down, remove -net none from the command line and start Qemu again.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

To explain what's happening a bit more: -rtc base="2000-09-14",clock=vm tells the EFI boot process to set the real time clock to that value on boot. Then it's done, and the VM counts up from that reference point. Once OSXPB logs in, it calls the Apple time server and re-sets the clock. So you need to disable that to prevent the OS from locking you out.

It's also possible to hack the config file in the beta to check some future date instead of December 2000 as the expiry date. Easier just to turn off the automatic time setting while the network is disabled though.
superpantoufle
Space Cadet

Post by superpantoufle »

Cat_7 wrote:Your assumption is not correct. By default qemu sets this (id might be something else) even if not mentioned on the command line ;-)
-netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

So you have a network connection from the start.
Awesome, thanks a lot! It obviously did the trick… It's great to see the lickable Aqua GUI in all its glory once again! I have the Public Beta installed on a clamshell iBook in 800x600, but it's way cooler to have it running on my modern Mac!
adespoton wrote:To explain what's happening a bit more: -rtc base="2000-09-14",clock=vm tells the EFI boot process to set the real time clock to that value on boot. Then it's done, and the VM counts up from that reference point. Once OSXPB logs in, it calls the Apple time server and re-sets the clock. So you need to disable that to prevent the OS from locking you out.
I got that part right, but my incorrect understanding was that removing the -netdev line from the script was effectively taking out the network card from the PowerMac… Thanks a lot for those explanations!

Now the next steps (NeXTSTEP ?) are to get DP4, DP3 and some flavour of Rhapsody running. I'll most certainly get stuck somewhere, so there's a good chance we'll see each other in a new topic sooner rather than later! Thanks again!
From a Macintosh SE to a MacBook Air (2018) and a PowerHack G5. 33 years of (insanely great) addiction, and counting.
vlad557776
Tinkerer

Post by vlad557776 »

You can run both DP3 and DP4 on QEMU, check my old posts for configs.

For Rhapsody, I'll open a topic about that, but, AFAIK, right now only Rhapsody 5.6 (Mac OS X Server 1.2v3) is bootable. I think WWPC has an easy tutorial.
superpantoufle
Space Cadet

Post by superpantoufle »

vlad557776 wrote:You can run both DP3 and DP4 on QEMU, check my old posts for configs.

For Rhapsody, I'll open a topic about that, but, AFAIK, right now only Rhapsody 5.6 (Mac OS X Server 1.2v3) is bootable. I think WWPC has an easy tutorial.
So, I think I got them all working… 9.x, Server 1.2v3, DP2, DP3, DP4, Public Beta, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 & 10.5. Thanks guys!

Am I correct that anything below 9.x, DP1 and other versions of Rhapsody won't work? I apologise, I'm getting slightly off topic…
vlad557776
Tinkerer

Post by vlad557776 »

A machine-specific release of 9.0.4 should run, pre-9.x not.

DP1 - UbuntuXP managed to get it up, but that requires Linux and tons of tinkering.

Earlier Rhapsody - wait until I find a way to do so using BootX.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Shoehorning a few more things into BootX *may* allow 8.6, OS X Server 1.0, and earlier Rhapsody PPC builds to run in QEMU, but this is a current WIP.

Personally, I think if we can get 8.6 working, that opens up the possibility of booting all the way back to 8.0 by taking a real PowerMac G3 ROM and wrapping it and sticking it in BootX. Possibly we could then move on to wrapping an older ROM and booting all the way back to 7.1.2.