File sharing with guest MacOS 10.4

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rpatters1
Tinkerer

File sharing with guest MacOS 10.4

Post by rpatters1 »

I am currently trying to set up a network share to pass files between guest MacOS 10.4 and host macOS 10.14. I followed the instructions on the installation wiki, and it all works as advertised. I get to the login dialog for the server and enter my credentials, then select the folder I want to share. The selected folder then appears as a network disk icon on my desktop. It seems like it is going to work...

But then it hangs on "Connecting To Server" and displays the tumbling colored ball of doom. The only way out seems to be to quit QEMU. (I haven't figured out any way to bring up opt-cmd-esc in the guest). Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: File sharing with guest MacOS 10.4

Post by adespoton »

Make sure AppleShare and SMB are both enabled on 10.4, and connect via IP. There's been a few protocol changes over the years that break certain bits of connectivity, but not all parts. If you attempt connecting via IP from the Go menu, you'll get a different result than connecting to the share from the Finder sidebar via Bonjour.
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

Thank you so much. It turns out the problem was a user error. :???: I was selecting the root drive instead of the shared folder. Once I figured out to pick the shared folder, it worked. :oops:
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

Will a similar method work with AppleShare IP under Mac OS 9 and a 10.15 host?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Probably not; I use a 10.6 intermediary to talk to OS 9 and 10.15.