Changing to arbitrary screen size

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rpatters1
Tinkerer

Changing to arbitrary screen size

Post by rpatters1 »

I now have Qemu instances running OS 9.2.2 and OSX Tiger. I would like to be able to make optimum use of my screen real estate with them. Is there a way to set them to an arbitrary size that is not in the list for (OS9) Monitors or (OSX) Display Setup?

I found the -g tag, but that seems to be overridden by the OS. I would like my resolution to be 1600x1000 (1050 is too tall for my monitor). This screen size works fine on Sheepshaver, so I was wondering if it was possible on Qemu.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Changing to arbitrary screen size

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

No, that is not possible. The -g setting only controls the initial openbios screen and then gets overridden by the resolution setting in the guest OS (as you noticed).

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Changing to arbitrary screen size

Post by adespoton »

To clarify a bit further, it's not possible to set to sizes not in the Monitors or Display Setup window, but it IS possible to modify the ndrv file to replace one of those existing resolutions with the one you want to use. The Monitors/Display Setup windows pick up this change and let you select the odd-sized resolution.

The resolutions are stored as hex value pairs inside the ndrv file; best to work on a copy until you know you've modified the right thing.