QEMU Running on Catalina and Old CDRoms (HFS)

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Flyinace2000
Space Cadet

QEMU Running on Catalina and Old CDRoms (HFS)

Post by Flyinace2000 »

I discovered a bag of old educational games at my parents house. Most of them are from OS9 days. This led me down a path to run them for my kids (2 and 5). I have (had) an iMac G4 that worked for 20 minutes then died. I tried to mount the disks on my Hackintosh running Catalina, but the disks won't mount cause they are HFS (not HFS+) which was apparently removed a few version back. Then I adopted an old MacBook running SnowLeopard, but that doesn't support classic, just rosetta from OS X apps compiled for PPC.

So the good news is the MacBook (SnowLeopard) can read the cd-roms, but can't execute. I got QEMU running and booted to OS9.2.2 on my Catalina machine. I tried to make an ISO of the CD using the MacBook, but the doesn't fix the HFS issue on Catalina and QEMU fails to launch when I mappings that ISO.

Is there a way to convert the ISO to be readable in Catalina? Am I working the problem in the wrong direction? I saw there was a home-brew tool to read HFS volumes, but it only lets you copy 1 item at a time, no folders.

Thanks All!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: QEMU Running on Catalina and Old CDRoms (HFS)

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You want to use the .iso files in MacOS 9.2.2 in QEMU. The fact that those HFS volumes cannot be read in Catalina is irrelevant.

Tell us how you create the image files from the CDs and how you try to mount them in QEMU.
What is your command line?
Flyinace2000
Space Cadet

Post by Flyinace2000 »

You are completely right. I had my config file wrong. Once I used the -Drive instead of -cdrom the cd showed up on the Qemu desktop.

I’ll keep making the images in the snow leopard laptop.
Flyinace2000
Space Cadet

Post by Flyinace2000 »

For completeness sake here was the command that was not working

Code: Select all

-cdrom "/Volumes/isos/MacOS/Software/DisneyPixar1stGrade.cdr" \
Here is what worked

Code: Select all

-drive file=/Volumes/isos/MacOS/Software/DisneyPixar1stGrade.cdr,format=raw,media=cdrom \