Invalid Image Size

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Needalotofhelp
Student Driver

Invalid Image Size

Post by Needalotofhelp »

I'm trying to follow the directions for installing QEMU but using Mac OS X Panther. I'm using the file pearpc-6gib (1).img, which is probably not the right file. Anyway, everytime I try to follow the directions and type "qemu-img.exe create -f raw -o size=2G MacOS9.2.img" but I replace MacOS9.2.img with pearpc-6gib (1).img (which is 5.99 GB) and size=2G with size=5.99G I get the error:
"qemu-img.exe: Invalid image size specified. You may use k, M, G, T, P or E suffixes for
qemu-img.exe: kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, petabytes and exabytes."

I need help fixing this issue, and if the file I'm using is the wrong one, is there a link to a download for a file that will work?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Invalid Image Size

Post by adespoton »

Needalotofhelp wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:30 pm I'm trying to follow the directions for installing QEMU but using Mac OS X Panther. I'm using the file pearpc-6gib (1).img, which is probably not the right file. Anyway, everytime I try to follow the directions and type "qemu-img.exe create -f raw -o size=2G MacOS9.2.img" but I replace MacOS9.2.img with pearpc-6gib (1).img (which is 5.99 GB) and size=2G with size=5.99G I get the error:
"qemu-img.exe: Invalid image size specified. You may use k, M, G, T, P or E suffixes for
qemu-img.exe: kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, petabytes and exabytes."

I need help fixing this issue, and if the file I'm using is the wrong one, is there a link to a download for a file that will work?
Are you trying to use qemu-img to create a PearPC 6GB image? Because if you're not, set the image size to whatever you want without decimals. The resulting file will be usable in QEMU-PPC. If you're trying to create an image that will also work in PearPC, just download a blank 6GB image from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pear ... ib.img.bz2

That line is to create a blank image. If you already have one, you don't need to create another.
Needalotofhelp
Student Driver

Post by Needalotofhelp »

Can you provide an example of said command with, let's say 12 GB? I've tried changing the value from 2G to 6G and I have the same error. And using the pearpc 6 gb.img file in the .bat file seems to stop it from working. I'm only trying to create or use a file that will work with QEMU and allow me to start using the machine.
Use of PearPC doesn't matter all that much to me.
Last edited by Needalotofhelp on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

"qemu-img.exe create -f raw -o size=2G file.img" works for me. Although using -f qcow2 might be better for you if you're only using it for QEMU, as it'll be faster and only take up as much space as you've written to the image.

Remember that the resulting file is the equivalent of an unformatted drive; you still need to partition it and format it.

Maybe your issue isn't with your image. What does your command line look like, and what's the output you get when you try to run it?
Needalotofhelp
Student Driver

Post by Needalotofhelp »

Oh, I got it. Thanks so much. Though now, when I click the .bat file, it doesn't open. I'll make a separate post. Thanks for your help.