Updating on QEMU

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Needalotofhelp
Student Driver

Updating on QEMU

Post by Needalotofhelp »

I've managed to install Mac OS X Panther and all 3 installation disks, but now I'm planning to update the software to Tiger. Unfortunately, it requires a restart. When I restart QEMU (and by that I mean clicking restart, exiting out of QEMU, and turning it on again), it either goes back to the desktop (boot -c), or it gives me an error message that says no valid state has been set (boot -d). The guide says you can add another iso to the bat file to install new software, but when I was installating the other 2 additional disks for Panther, changing the main iso worked just fine. Please help me here again, I don't know too much about QEMU.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Updating on QEMU

Post by adespoton »

Needalotofhelp wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:47 am I've managed to install Mac OS X Panther and all 3 installation disks, but now I'm planning to update the software to Tiger. Unfortunately, it requires a restart. When I restart QEMU (and by that I mean clicking restart, exiting out of QEMU, and turning it on again), it either goes back to the desktop (boot -c), or it gives me an error message that says no valid state has been set (boot -d). The guide says you can add another iso to the bat file to install new software, but when I was installating the other 2 additional disks for Panther, changing the main iso worked just fine. Please help me here again, I don't know too much about QEMU.
The main thing you're running into is that NVRAM isn't saved in QEMU, so when you reboot, the preloaded boot configuration the installer writes to NVRAM disappears. You have to manually load it from the OpenBIOS command line.

For this reason, I went the route of installing major OS versions from scratch; saves re-learning OpenFirmware commands and hunting down the correct path to load and execute. Then I just copy over the stuff I want from one OS version to the other by mounting the drive as a secondary drive.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I also need a lot of help ;-)

I do not fully understand your question. But I have a question in return:
Assuming you are trying to start the upgrade from within Panther: Can you boot from your Tiger installation disk on its own, thus making sure the medium is bootable?
It looks like -d (so starting from the Tiger disk) might not work.

Best,
Cat_7
Needalotofhelp
Student Driver

Post by Needalotofhelp »

Welp, I tried booting the Tiger Installation Disk onto another .qcow2 file and I get the same error. So I'm pretty sure it might be the iso. I just searched up a Tiger iso on the internet and downloaded one. Is there a specific website I can download Tiger from?