Icons Conversion

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

gaetano
Student Driver

Icons Conversion

Post by gaetano »

Someone knows how to convert Mac OS X icons to Mac OS 9? When I copy the icon and apply it to a folder on Mac OS X, eject the Disk Image and boot into Mac OS 9 the icon doesn't appear. I'm mostly interested on using the icons of my childhood Macs, the PowerMacintosh 8500A/V and the iMac G4. I already got access to the icons of the PowerMacintosh because of backups and icon packages but my iMac computer icon won't load even if I copy and paste it on a custom sharing folder. :arrow: Maybe someone knows of a generic Mac OS X computer sharing icon for Mac OS 9.
gaetano
Student Driver

Re: Icons Conversion

Post by gaetano »

Also, I don't know how to change the Model Identifier for Apple System Profiler, right now it says Power Mac G4 and on Video Cards it shows QEMU (although supposedly there is a way to change it).
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

Ok, this is what I tried. Found a file called openbios-ppc and modified the model number identifier, it wouldn't go past the first black screen. :???:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Did you edit the source and recompile openbios-ppc?

Best,
Cat_7
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

Downloaded the source and modified it, the problem is that for compiling it says fcode-utils are needed. I only found an old source but apparently I need to compile that for Mac OS before using it for compiling the other source (to set the architecture). Or could I do that with Xcode :?:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You need to make/install the fcode-utils and install a PPC cross compiler to build openbios.

Manuals are somewhat scattered around:
Use this for the fcode utils only: https://www.openbios.org/OpenBIOS#Building_OpenBIOS
Then use this for the cross-compiler and path settings: https://www.openfirmware.info/How_to_bu ... n_Mac_OS_X

I use this to compile openbios:
PATH=:/usr/local/ppcelf/ppcelf/bin:/users/hsp/src/fcode-utils-devel/toke:$PATH
export PATH
cd openbios
CROSS_COMPILE=ppc-elf- ./config/scripts/switch-arch ppc
#(remove -Werror from CFLAGS in Makefile.target in top directory)
make

Best,
Cat_7
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

Thank you! Also, I noticed the serial number said Not Applicable or something like that on System Profiler :!:
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

Okay, there is a file called mol video in which I apparently can change the boot splash or make black the intro font until the mac logo appears. I don't know how to call the boot splash or where to put it. Maybe boot-splash.bmp? But it asks for a 24-bit Windows BMP and I don't have a tool to covert to that (i believe).
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

Error in terminal:

Code: Select all

./config/scripts/switch-arch: line 189: test: /Volumes/Internal: binary operator expected
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

I believe the problem is that the hard drive has a space on its name, and the code isn't reading it. Maybe I need to rename my drive to compile, very weird.
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

It says it finished building but I don't see the application or files, where should they be located?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

gaetano wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:53 pm It says it finished building but I don't see the application or files, where should they be located?
Should be in the bin folder in the source directory? It's been a while since I've built that code though, and I'm going from (known faulty) memory.
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

Okay, copied the missing files from the already built folder and now it works (the model name says the computer I specified). What apparently I didn't manage to solve or maybe just didn't name the files properly, was the font background color (from that yellow to black).
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

Now there is no sound, I'll try copying file by file from the original build to check which is the broken one. :sad:
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

Okay, it was the bios that apparently was built without screamer. How do I add screamer to it?
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

I was able to do the majority of these inside Mac OS 9 using third party applications :roll: Now all I need is a good Mac OS X to Mac OS 9 icon converter and a script to hide Qemu while it starts :smile:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You can build openbios from the screamer branch over here:
https://github.com/mcayland/openbios/tree/screamer

Best,
Cat_7
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

Thanks for the link, the only problem I have now (apart of not knowing how to hide the openbios loader) is the date & time. For some reason it shows 5 hours later than what it should be:

UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

You probably need to add

Code: Select all

-rtc base=localtime
to your command line.
"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

Doug Gwyn
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

It worked! Thank you, is there a way to make the screen resolution always stretch to fit? For example, if I ran a fullscreen app with lower resolution and want it to use the whole screen instead of a smaller rectangle area.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Are you running the GTK or SDL gui?

Does this work?:
-sdl -full-screen

In my case, this runs both openbios and guest full screen and not stretched when my mac os guest is set to the same resolution as the actual screen:
-sdl -full-screen -g 1920x1200x32

If you set a resolution that has the same screen width/height ratio as your monitor, this should also work.

If not,
Does ctrl-alt-F work once your guest runs?

Saludos,
Cat_7
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

Took the -sdl out and left the rest, now it boots in fullscreen & with the full width of the screen.
Thank you all for your dedication!
I don't know if it is running on SDL or GTK but obviously 3D acceleration isn't available or fully working (found out the hard way). :cry:

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes,

There is no hardware video acceleration available. There has been some development in that direction, but only some 2d stuff is implemented. It still runs in software only.
Getting it to run is tricky: https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... z/download
There also have been some attempts to pass-through a supported video card from the host to the guest and even some work on getting qemu to run multiple guest cpus. Non of that has been fully developed.

I see your language is set to Spanish? Does that work without issues with Qemu?
Would you care to share your changes to openbios etc., and upload an image of what you achieved?

Best,
Cat_7
gaetano
Student Driver

Post by gaetano »

My ideal setup is one in which most of the needed files are inside an application that looks like the original Classic Environment, and can be launched at any time from the Applications Folder of Mac OS X (or 11 if you are testing the Beta).

I live in a Spanish speaking country so my keyboard is International "ISO" - Vertical Enter/Intro Key
The only problem I have is with the Login. For some reason this notice appears and Multiple Users doesn't let me create more than one working user (even a Guest account logs out by itself).

Also, I have the fullscreen flag enabled and only using the command for releasing the mouse works (so I can go back into modern OS without shutting down), but with this flag on the QEMU menu is always invisible and there is no way to load other drives or make it windowed. I actually like it more like this but maybe I could set a keyboard shortcut for loading a CD-ROM image from fullscreen; possibly one that uses the Eject key? My new iMac doesn't have a SuperDrive anyway. :idea:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

When running full-screen indeed only ctrl-alt-g releases mouse and keyboard.
If you then press apple-f the guest turns to windowed mode and the menu becomes available to change a cd image. Another apple-f returns the guest to full screen.

Inside the Mac OS guest apple-e should work to eject a cd image. However, Qemu has no polling running to detect media change and to automatically mount it. As you say, you have no cd drive available anyway. For Qemu to determine which cd image to mount would be impossible.
Qemu has to be ran as root to allow access to a real cd (although this can also be achieved by setting some other rights).

Best,
Cat_7