How can I mount a USB Drive on QEMU

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

iheartcoffee
Space Cadet

How can I mount a USB Drive on QEMU

Post by iheartcoffee »

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if there was a way to mount a USB drive for MacOS 9 on QEMU? I'm doing this since I want to transfer files between my PC and QEMU. If there is another way to transfer files between the host, then please let me know.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Cheers :smile:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: How can I mount a USB Drive on QEMU

Post by adespoton »

iheartcoffee wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:52 pm Hi everyone,
I was wondering if there was a way to mount a USB drive for MacOS 9 on QEMU? I'm doing this since I want to transfer files between my PC and QEMU. If there is another way to transfer files between the host, then please let me know.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Cheers :smile:
What's your host operating system? What is the virtual Mac you're emulating in QEMU-PPC?

You should be able to mount the drive by presenting it as a USB device when using a USB-capable virtual Mac in QEMU.

However, I've never tried that; instead, I just mount the QEMU drive image under macOS. Not sure how you'd do this under Windows/Linux.

Of course, you could always (on Linux) run dd on the USB drive on the host, and mount the resulting image in QEMU. Or, follow the instructions on the wiki to get both devices on the network at the same time, and do filesharing via FTP, NFS or SMB (via DAVE).
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: How can I mount a USB Drive on QEMU

Post by Cat_7 »

Passing a real usb stick into the guest is a bit cumbersome. And it would need to be in a format readable by both host and guest.

However, last week I've updated the Windows and macOS guides with the option to run an ftp server on the guest (bij means of netpresenz in Mac OS 9 or the ftp service in Mac OS X) and connect to it from the host. You can forward the ftp port to the host and connect to it for read/write access.

See under networking here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... networking
or here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... networking

Best,
Cat_7