newbie install problems of 10.0

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MacBum
Space Cadet

newbie install problems of 10.0

Post by MacBum »

Hello, I am a newbie to Qemu (but not to mini vMac, BasiliskII and Sheepshaver). I am having trouble installing OS X 10.0 onto of a 9.2 image. Specifically, I get no mouse or keyboard response during the initial stage of the OS X install.

I have successfully created an empty disk image, booted up in Qemu with a physical Mac OS 9.2 CD, formatted the new .img file and installed Mac OS 9.2. I have no trouble with using the mouse or keyboard - accessing functions, running applications etc, and have successfully shut down and rebooted 9.2 several times. But when I startup with Qemu with the OS X 10.0 Install CD, boot up is fine through the OS X Install splash screen until I get the first prompt that requires a response (Select Language). At this point, I have no mouse or keyboard response.I have booted up the OS X Installer CD using both the physical CD as well as an ISO image, with the same result, as well as with the OS X 10.1 installer. (I intend to try with 10.2 through 10.5 as well.)

Interestingly, my initial attempt with Qemu, I missed the step of formatting the new disk image file. Thus when I booted up into the OS X Install CD, I had full mouse and keyboard use and could respond to the first few install prompts. Then I got to the step to select an installation disk and there was none to be found - duh :oops: - I skipped the image formatting step.

Ideas would be appreciated.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: newbie install problems of 10.0

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Those images only boot with working mouse/keyboard when you use mac99, so not mac99,via=pmu on the command line.

Best,
Cat_7
MacBum
Space Cadet

Post by MacBum »

Excellent. I modified the qemu.command file and it worked like a charm :cool: - OS X 10.0 successfully installed. Thank you so much for your help.

By-the-way, had no trouble installing Mac OS X 10.2 with the existing (mac99,via=pmu) parameters.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Yes, point being that mac99 provides the older adb mouse and keyboard, while mac99,via=pmu provides usb mouse and keyboard.
Somehow 10.0/10.1 do not like the usb versions.

Best,
Cat_7