Linux host, QEMU 3.1.0 (Debian 1:3.1+dfsg-8+deb10u8), NetBSD 9.1 guest install hangs

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ramjr
Space Cadet

Linux host, QEMU 3.1.0 (Debian 1:3.1+dfsg-8+deb10u8), NetBSD 9.1 guest install hangs

Post by ramjr »

Hello,
As noted I'm trying to install NetBSD 9.1 using QEMU. The qemu command line is:
qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99,via=pmu -m 1024 \
-prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" \
-prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" \
-drive file=NetBSD-9.1-macppc.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom \
-drive file=netbsd.img,format=raw,media=disk \
-device VGA,edid=on \
-display gtk
This brings up a yellow background window with the OpenBIOS prompt:
0 >
I then enter the following command:
boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf
and <ENTER>.
The system boots from the CD image, with some issues that are better describeed by video, and eventually reaches the prompt for "Terminal type? [vt100]" and then a series of install menus which I answered as appropriate. The most important are that I install to wd0 (4GB), and take the default partitioning. It then begins installing sets:
kernGERNERIC, modules, base
completed successfully, it then goes to
etc
and just stops, 0%, forever. As if there is a problem with the ISO file?
But, the file I downloaded installed successfully on a real Mac G3 Blue and White. I also checked/rechecked the sha512sum checksum with no errors.
Suggestions on what to do?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Linux host, QEMU 3.1.0 (Debian 1:3.1+dfsg-8+deb10u8), NetBSD 9.1 guest install hangs

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Thanks for your question. Please be advised we only deal with Mac OS/OSX guests on qemu-system-ppc.
It will improve your chances to get useful answers if you direct your future questions at the qemu user mailing list or qemu developers mailing list.

However, I tried installing netbsd 9.1 with qemu. I created a 2Gb raw hard disk image and used
"boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc"
at the openfirmware prompt and it allowed me to complete the installation. An attempt to configure the network after the installation completed made qemu/netbsd hang.
I did not yet try to boot from hd.

qemu command line:

./qemu-system-ppc \
-L pc-bios \
-M mac99,via=pmu -m 1024 -boot d \
-cdrom /home/hsp/Linux-images/NetBSD-9.1-macppc.iso \
-hda /home/hsp/Linux-disks/spare.img \
-rtc base=localtime

ps: this might help: https://www.reddit.com/r/BSD/comments/a ... systemppc/

Best,
Cat_7
ramjr
Space Cadet

Re: Linux host, QEMU 3.1.0 (Debian 1:3.1+dfsg-8+deb10u8), NetBSD 9.1 guest install hangs

Post by ramjr »

OK, thanks. I had seen mentions of NetBSD on this site and decided to take the chance.
Thanks for taking a look anyway. ;)

Bob