Connect QEMU OS9.2.2 to Host Devices?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Connect QEMU OS9.2.2 to Host Devices?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

USB A does not say enough about the speed.
Can you check your system report for the actual speed the port supports and the speed with which you midi device is connected?
For the hub your device is connected to it should say Up to 12 Mb/sec and the same for your device.

For devices connected to the USB 1.1 hub in an Apple keyboard, we can run into a power problem. If the total of devices require more than 500 Ma the keyboard will not provide it...
So I have two different USB sticks where one requires 200 Ma and the other 500 Ma. The second one will not work as it exceeds the total power available and macOS host says it needs to be connected to an USB port on the host.

I saw this on an apple help site:
USB 1.1 and 2.0 flash drives are supported by all Mac OS versions from 8.1 on, though USB 2.0 drives will only operate at 1.1 speed in any OS earlier than 10.2.6.
However, as we run into a snag with usb 2.0 controllers, for us only a usb 1.1 controller/hub could work when running Mac OS 9.x up to 10.2.6

Best,
Cat_7
shaketuna
Student Driver

Post by shaketuna »

Hi,

According to the Host's Sys report under Catalina, the USB port on the older MacBook Pro says 'USB 3.0 Bus', and the MIDI interface's Speed is 'Up to 12 Mb/s' and 500mA power.
The interface is connected to host without using a hub.

I also experimented with the MIDI interface connected through an Apple Pro Keyboard that came with G4 Cube (which is also Up to 12Mb/s & 500mA), and the result was the same.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,
According to the Host's Sys report under Catalina, the USB port on the older MacBook Pro says 'USB 3.0 Bus', and the MIDI interface's Speed is 'Up to 12 Mb/s' and 500mA power.
The interface is connected to host without using a hub.
This demonstrates my point above: This way to connect makes sure it cannot work. The device has to be connected to a 1.1 hub.

I cannot look into your computer, so perhaps you can upload some screen shots of the system report somewhere so we can see exactly what is connected to what.
If the midi device requires 500Ma, it might be it will not be activated through the hub. Last chance would be to get a powered usb 1.1 hub (not 1.1 and 2.0).

Perhaps also a link to the specifications of your cube keyboard?

Best,
Cat_7
shaketuna
Student Driver

Post by shaketuna »

Here is what Catalina's System Report says about the MIDI interface connected through the Apple Pro Keyboard (which came with G4 Cube):

Hub in Apple Pro Keyboard:

Product ID: 0x1002
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/s
Manufacturer: Mitsumi Electric
Location ID: 0x14321400 / 60
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 50
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Vendor-Specific Device:

Product ID: 0x0014
Vendor ID: 0x0582 (Roland Corporation)
Version: 1.0a
Serial Number: ZQ82738
Manufacturer: Roland
Location ID: 0x14321430 / 62

Apple Pro Keyboard:

Product ID: 0x0206
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 1.01
Manufacturer: Mitsumi Electric
Location ID: 0x14321410 / 61
Current Required (mA): 50

Additionally, the MIDI interface has its own power source so I don't believe it should be affected by the hosting hub's power suppliability.
I also tested it with connection through the same keyboard hub on a physical G4 Cube, and the interface functionned normally.
Hope this helps.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Understood. This seems OK.

Can you do another pcap file with these devices connected?

Best,
Cat_7
hiroshige
Space Cadet

Post by hiroshige »

whats the situation about qemu doing os9. theres a great need here to send audio into prosoniq sonicworx powerbundle 2.6 via asio and out again for monitoring purposes.