qemu-screamer and BT headphones

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

bradhowes
Space Cadet

qemu-screamer and BT headphones

Post by bradhowes »

Hello!

Has anyone gotten good audio out of qemu-system-ppc-screamer when the host has Bluetooth headphones connected? I tried various *screamer builds with a MacOS 9.2.2 disk image while using my AirPods but the audio playback rate from the guest appears to be incorrect and choppy. If I run with the host configured to play output to the internal speakers, the audio plays fine. If I connect my AirPods *before* starting Qemu, then audio is slow and choppy. If I connect the AirPods *after* launching Qemu, then the guest continues to use the speakers of my laptop, but everything else routes to my AirPods.

This is perhaps better suited for a Qemu forum, but I am curious if anyone here encountered the same issue and fixed it. I'm also willing to dive into the code to try and fix things, if someone has any pointers on where to start (I have a Qemu source build with the same issue).

Thanks!

Brad
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: qemu-screamer and BT headphones

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I have no idea how to fix that. From what I gather from your message, Qemu sticks to the audio device it found at start-up and will not switch to another output channel.
This seems a Qemu issue that might be addressed at the qemu developer list.

The screamer code itself is not in the official source. The screamer barely keeps up with Mac OS 9, but shows lag etc on OSX guest. Whether that is the source of your problem, I wouldn't know.

Best,
Cat_7
milan475
Space Cadet

Re: qemu-screamer and BT headphones

Post by milan475 »

Bit of an old topic, but for anyone still searching for a solution. Open up Audio MIDI setup -> find your AirPods and change the bitrate back to 2 channel 32-bit float.