UTM New release... With Screamer?

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

UTM New release... With Screamer?

Post by adespoton »

From https://github.com/utmapp/UTM/releases
QEMU updated from v5.2.0 to v6.0.0
USB support: attach a USB device to the VM (macOS and jailbroken iOS 14.5 and below only)
UTM SE (Slow Edition): JITless iOS build available to sideload on any non-jailbroken device (thanks @ktemkin)
Screamer audio device for PPC mac99 machines (no setting changes needed)
Does this mean that QEMU 6 resolves the incompatibility between snapshotting and Screamer? I don't see anything in the QEMU changelog that would indicate so.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: UTM New release... With Screamer?

Post by Cat_7 »

Not at all. And it still requires the purpose-built openbios.

I guess what you get is a build from Mark's screamer branch, warts and all. The current screamer code will crash Mac OS 9.0 and 9.1, but not 9.2 and above.
There is no warning included?

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Cat_7 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:52 am Not at all. And it still requires the purpose-built openbios.

I guess what you get is a build from Mark's screamer branch, warts and all. The current screamer code will crash Mac OS 9.0 and 9.1, but not 9.2 and above.
There is no warning included?

Best,
Cat_7
The odd thing is, I can't even see a screamer option in the actual provided build. I'm still trying to pull apart what they've actually done. The changelog doesn't appear to match the reality. I suspect the changelog is for a beta release and I downloaded their previous "stable" to test.

In the version I tested, UTM itself also doesn't appear to recognize/expose the monitor, and doesn't appear to have a concept of state saving.

[edit] I've now downloaded the latest beta whose changelog matches the "official" changelog. Still numerous bugs -- the default settings don't let you select a usable keyboard for 9.2.2, and Screamer isn't mentioned anywhere (although audio hardware is now disabled by default -- maybe that enables screamer? But if it does, that's rather counter-intuitive).

I guess this is a "watch this space" thing; they've made a few decisions that we've discovered cause issues, and their forum seems unaware of the problems.
mahrain
Space Cadet

Post by mahrain »

I found that the image I created and used with the binaries provided here work nicely with UTM, are improvements @CAT_7 and others are making being feed back into UTM? And what are the key differences at this point?
Bruninho
Tinkerer

Post by Bruninho »

I actually collaborated a bit with the dev, "Osy" in terms of UI/UX for the v2.0 of his UTM app.

The macOS version I've tested, latest beta, unfortunaly has a regression - for both mac and iOS/iPadOS builds- I was using 1280x960x32 resolution, but it has disappeared from this build. I have no idea why or how to fix. So now, I am stuck with 1024x768x32. Not the ideal thing for an iPad, but I can run higher for my MacBook, though.

Sound works for macOS build, but not for iOS/iPadOS build.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

mahrain wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:09 am I found that the image I created and used with the binaries provided here work nicely with UTM, are improvements @CAT_7 and others are making being feed back into UTM? And what are the key differences at this point?
You're asking in the wrong place -- that's something to ask the UTM guys. However, I started this thread to flag up exactly this -- the latest UTM appears to be (loosely) based on CAT_7's builds. So I was hoping that meant someone from the UTM dev team was lurking here and could clarify, since they've taken experimental features with known defects and rolled them into their official build.