OSX 10.4 System Update

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rpatters1
Tinkerer

OSX 10.4 System Update

Post by rpatters1 »

I recently noticed when I start my 10.4 virtual under qemu that the System Update notifies me of an update to 10.4.11. Today I attempted to do the update, and it seemed to work. But when it tried to restart it hung. After several attempts at restarting it, I ended up falling back to a backup of the virtual disc file. I have no immediate need to accept the update, but if there is something simple to try that might let it work, I would be interested in trying it.

I am using the latest recommended version of qemu for ppc on the emaculation site. (From Dec. 2020.)

Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: OSX 10.4 System Update

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

That update takes a long time after you restart your "Mac". Did you give it enough time?

Best,
Cat_7
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

Perhaps I didn't give it enough time. By "long" are we talking hours?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

No, not hours. Perhaps an hour, and then restart again.

Best,
Cat_7
rpatters1
Tinkerer

Post by rpatters1 »

Thank you for encouraging patience. I waited and it worked.
srirangav
Space Cadet

Post by srirangav »

I saw this thread and observed a similar problem. In case it helps others, what I noticed is that installing the 10.4.6 PPC combo update, followed by the 10.4.9 PPC combo update, followed by the 10.4.11 PPC combo update seemed to be a smoother process that didn't require waiting a long time after the updates were applied. Also, after each reboot, instead of letting the qemu automatically reboot the vm, shutting down down qemu and reluanching seemed to work better.