QEMU problems with importing .sit iso

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Tooncinator
Student Driver

QEMU problems with importing .sit iso

Post by Tooncinator »

Hello again. Despite everything, you guys are still here to help me when I unexpectedly mess up something.

I have successfully set up QEMU with Mac OS 9.2.1, with the most recent screamer build as of yesterday. However, every time I try to list another media, the emulator fails to recognize it and asks if I want to initialize the drive. I am trying to import Colibricks 1.3, the .sit from Macintosh Garden. I have tried a couple different methods of putting Colibricks into an .iso: first, with WinCDEmu, with the .sit being the only file in the folder I am putting in the .iso. That fails to be read or initialized. Then I tried InfraRecorder to try just putting the .sit file in an .iso without it being in a folder or anything. That didn't work either. Then I tried using Sheepshaver to extract the .sit, then pulling the resulting files out of Sheepshaver and bundling them up into a folder and then putting that folder into an .iso. No dice. My friends had no trouble at all using their Linux tools, but I do not want to break out the Linux laptop just yet. It should work without having to do that.

So, I could either be advised on how to do this method correctly, or, alternatively, it has been brought to my attention by someone in an IRC server I'm in that you can set up QEMU to do networking pretty easily and just grab anything you need while in the emulator. He typed out "python3 -m http.server" and then indicated you could do whatever after that. But putting those as launch options didn't work, and that was all I had.

My .bat file is as follows:
qemu-system-ppc-screamer-fpu.exe ^
-L pc-bios ^
-M mac99,via=pmu ^
-m 512 ^
-sdl ^
-boot d ^
-g 1024x768x32 ^
-drive file=MacOS9.2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom ^
-drive file=MacOS9.2.img,format=raw,media=disk ^
-drive file=pleasework.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom

Let me know if you need any more information.
that-ben
Granny Smith

Re: QEMU problems with importing .sit iso

Post by that-ben »

Tooncinator wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:45 am Hello again. Despite everything, you guys are still here to help me when I unexpectedly mess up something.
Hi! Your ISO disk image, "pleasework.iso", what format is it? It doesn't matter that your .sit file is "being the only file in the folder you are putting in the .iso" all of this doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that your ISO disk image has a format that is mountable by Mac OS 9. Mac OS 9 supports HFS, HFS+, ISO-9660 and UDF. If you use ISO-9660 it will support short filenames with all capital letters only. The best format is HFS or HFS+ but if you're doing this under Windows, this will prove almost impossible to do, so the next best thing is UDF.

Here's how I do it :) It's super simple and takes only 20 seconds tops to do all the steps from a .sit on my Windows desktop to .sit on my Mac OS 9 desktop under QEMU:

0) Launch QEMU and while it's loading Mac OS 9...
1) Grab PowerISO or any decent disk image program.
2) New disk image and drag and drop all your .sit files you want inside the blank disk image.
3) Select FILE > PROPERTIES and uncheck all formats except UDF.
4) Save as... and select "TYPE: Standard ISO image (.iso)" at the bottom of the save dialog, then save it to your drive's root directory here: c:/a.iso
5) Under QEMU, hit CONTROL + ALT + 2 on your keyboard to bring up the console window.
6) Type exactly this and hit return: change ide1-cd0 c:/a.iso
7) Wait like 2 seconds and it will magically mount on your desktop and your .sit file(s) will be there, just drag and drop them to your Mac OS 9 hard drive and expand them using Stuffit Expander as usual.

Hope you liked my tutorial. Cheers
Tooncinator
Student Driver

Post by Tooncinator »

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. I have not had the opportunity to try your advice yet, but I am almost sure it works. My Linux friends' tool made exactly that kind of ISO.
Tooncinator
Student Driver

Post by Tooncinator »

Okay, I did exactly what you outlined in your guide, and it still doesn't recognize it. What am I doing wrong? So frustrating. Maybe the networking thing could help?
that-ben
Granny Smith

Post by that-ben »

Tooncinator wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:50 am My Linux friends' tool made exactly that kind of ISO. [...] and it still doesn't recognize it.
Remember, not all ISO are the same format. It NEEDS to be UDF or HFS if you want it to properly mount under Mac OS 9. ".iso" doesn't mean anything useful just by itself, it's the format that is inside the .iso that really counts. Can you please upload your .iso file and share the DL link? I'd like to have a look at it, I'm sure I'll figure out what you did wrong. If you don't know where to upload it, you can upload it here: https://wetransfer.com

But again, I highly suggest you follow my steps and use PowerISO as it is a sure way to have it work the first time.