GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cat_7
Expert User

Re: GSOC qemu Boot Mac OS >= 8.5 on PowerPC system

Post by Cat_7 »

This still surprises me. I have no, and haven't found a single version of 9.0 or 9.0.4 that boots successfully. Hints are welcome ;-)

8.5 halts during boot with the missing rtas message.

Best,
Cat_7
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

Arths wrote:Public Beta is picky when it comes to hardware, so I think it will be difficult to make it run on QEMU unless people implement real compatible hardware.
What about Rhapsody? And Server 1.0? I managed to run Rhapsody DR2 on VMWare Fusion a long time ago. I wonder how different are the PowerPC versions of Rhapsody to Mac OS X Server 1.0 and Mac OS X Public Beta.

I don't have any media with the PPC versions though. I will see if I can find them. I doubt it will work, but who knows?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I tried Rhapsody DR2 this morning. No dice.
I believe this is the somewhat current state of affairs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I'm thinking about trying to create a self-contained QEMU launcher for OS X like the SheepShaver Wrapper that I threw together a few years ago and which is discussed here:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =33&t=7363

But I don't want to try to reinvent the wheel if someone else has invented it already, and especially if they've done a better job than I could do. Is there a standalone QEMU system out there that's available? And does anyone have strong feelings about whether it's more generally useful to create a system that runs Mac OS 9.22 or one that builds OS X 10.4 with Classic? (Speed is always an issue.)
LightBulbFun
Tinkerer

Post by LightBulbFun »

figured id post this that OS X DP3 when you boot from the OS X partition on its install CD (not the OS9 one) it does boot all the way to a GUI but none of the drop down menus seem to work (ie to choose a HDD to install too)
Arths
Student Driver

Post by Arths »

How do you do that ?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

emendelson wrote:I'm thinking about trying to create a self-contained QEMU launcher for OS X like the SheepShaver Wrapper that I threw together a few years ago
I believe Programmingkid was working on a cocoa qemu prefs editor. Please also check the way I prepared the currently available OSX download here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =34&t=8848

Best,
Cat_7
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

I dont suppose there is working windows binaries?
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Windows executable here:

EDIT: rather download from here: https://qemu.weilnetz.de/

Please note this has it's own problems, like sometimes showing disk errors etc. Mouse behaviour is abysmal.
However, using -sdl fixes the mouse issues for OS 9 (not OSX!). You need to manually adjust the window size as it seems to default to something like 640x480 thus scaling anything set in the parameters.
Not moving the mouse at all during installation allow the installation to finish without problems.

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link changed for download of windows build
Programmingkid
Apple Corer

Post by Programmingkid »

Cat_7 wrote:This still surprises me. I have no, and haven't found a single version of 9.0 or 9.0.4 that boots successfully. Hints are welcome ;-)
I just had to boot from my Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD, and run the installer. No custom OpenBIOS, just the latest git commit. Didn't even need to make an ISO file first. The physical media boots in QEMU on Mac OS X hosts.

My old iMac came with both a Software Install and Software Restore CD. Only the Software Install CD works with QEMU. The Software Restore CD will refuse to install because it is probably tied to the iMac.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

emendelson wrote:I'm thinking about trying to create a self-contained QEMU launcher for OS X like the SheepShaver Wrapper that I threw together a few years ago and which is discussed here:

But I don't want to try to reinvent the wheel if someone else has invented it already, and especially if they've done a better job than I could do. Is there a standalone QEMU system out there that's available? And does anyone have strong feelings about whether it's more generally useful to create a system that runs Mac OS 9.22 or one that builds OS X 10.4 with Classic? (Speed is always an issue.)
I've got my shell based on platypus up and running; you still need to manually drop the disk images into the resources folder and edit the config file. My older QemuX app is something I've stopped work on (the one that did interactive setup, installing and configuring homebrew, qemu, taking a CD image and creating a HD image, then just running once everything's set up). It had too many moving parts to keep maintaining.
celebi23
Granny Smith

Post by celebi23 »

emendelson wrote:I'm thinking about trying to create a self-contained QEMU launcher for OS X like the SheepShaver Wrapper that I threw together a few years ago and which is discussed here:

I took adespoton's wrapper/launcher for BasiliskII & modified it for Qemu. Here's a version of the launchb2 file that I recently used:
#!/bin/sh
mypath=`dirname "$0"`
cd "$mypath"
./qemu-system-ppc -bios ./openbios-ppc -boot c -M mac99 -m 1024 -cpu G4 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -g 1024x768x32 -netdev user,id=network0 -device rtl8139,netdev=network0 -drive file=./MacintoshHD.dmg,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=./Extras.dmg,format=raw,media=disk
It worked pretty well for me.
kikyoulinux
Tinkerer

Post by kikyoulinux »

Cat_7 wrote:This still surprises me. I have no, and haven't found a single version of 9.0 or 9.0.4 that boots successfully. Hints are welcome ;-)

8.5 halts during boot with the missing rtas message.

Best,
Cat_7
Maybe booting OS 9.0.x needs a supported Mac OS ROM. Mac OS 9.0.4 Tard.Chinese (G4 Cube Restore) Mac OS ROM version is v5.5 and it works under qemu. However the Mac OS ROM of Mac OS 9.0.4 Simp.Chinese (Power Mac G4 Restore) is v3.7 and it does not boot. Replaced Mac OS ROM v3.7 with the working one, the system boots but throws me a bomb.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote:
emendelson wrote:I'm thinking about trying to create a self-contained QEMU launcher for OS X like the SheepShaver Wrapper that I threw together a few years ago
I believe Programmingkid was working on a cocoa qemu prefs editor. Please also check the way I prepared the currently available OSX download here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =34&t=8848
Your download certainly works perfectly - I was able to install Panther with no trouble. I'm still trying to figure out how to install Classic in Panther, but that should be fairly easy.

I wonder if there's some obvious way to get files into the emulated hard disk without downloading them from the internet. I don't see any obvious way to get a shared folder working, unfortunately.

Meanwhile, many thanks for setting this up. If anyone has a command line that would work for installing Mac OS 9.2, I'll be very glad to hear about it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Well, here's a pic of qemu-ppc running 10.4.0 with 9.2.1 Classic, running IE 5, loading this forum thread :)

This has been so many years in the making, but it looks like we're down to bugfixes now folks!

Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Your download certainly works perfectly - I was able to install Panther with no trouble. I'm still trying to figure out how to install Classic in Panther, but that should be fairly easy.

I wonder if there's some obvious way to get files into the emulated hard disk without downloading them from the internet. I don't see any obvious way to get a shared folder working, unfortunately.

Meanwhile, many thanks for setting this up. If anyone has a command line that would work for installing Mac OS 9.2, I'll be very glad to hear about it.
Make your hard disk with qemu-img:
./qemu-img create -f raw -o size=2G MacOS9.2.2.img

Command line to start with a CD (for my OSX download):
./qemu-system-ppc -bios openbios-ppc -boot d -M mac99 -m 256 -g 1024x768x32 -drive file=MacOS9.2.2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=MacOS9.22.img,format=raw,media=disk -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user

Command line to start from hard disk after installation:
./qemu-system-ppc -bios openbios-ppc -boot c -M mac99 -m 256 -g 1024x768x32 -drive file=MacOS9.22.img,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=MacOS9.2.2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user

Way to get files into Mac OS:
Put your files in a cd image and mount it in Qemu while it is running. Check the menu Machine for ejecting and mounting CD/DVD images.

Oh, and read the guide explaining all this here:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ppc ... mu-for-osx ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Decided to try testing 10.1 again. It gets as far as
Starting accounting
Startup complete.
I'm not getting any more verbosity than that.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Qemu running Mac OS in the Windows Subsystem for Linux (Windows 64 bit fast ring)

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Cat_7 wrote: Oh, and read the guide explaining all this here:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ppc ... mu-for-osx ;-)
Well, that's embarrassing! It's all there! I didn't read far enough - and I'm the guy who keeps telling other people to read the guides...
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

Using Stefan's 64-bit build of QEMU 2.7-rc0 on Windows 10 x86-64, along with the default BIOS compiled July 19, 2016...

QEMU is still as uncontrollable as ever in windowed mode, but it does boot consistently now with the default BIOS. Going fullscreen on the command line also make QEMU way too slow, for some reason.

Here's the strange thing...

Mac OS 9 is usable when you start out in windowed, then go to fullscreen, though it's still not quite perfect. The mouse does indeed work better there though, in both GTK and SDL. It seems to be better in SDL, where the screen maintains the same aspect ratio in fullscreen. (Press Ctrl + Alt + F to access fullscreen.) I'll see if I can get additional drives in there, mainly for application testing.

Here's the command line prompt I'm using:
qemu-system-ppc -boot d -drive file=os92_test.iso,index=0,media=cdrom -M mac99 -m 256 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -g 800x600x32 -net none -usb -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd
Inputting a non-4:3 resolution will distort the screen and makes the desktop unusable. Also keep in mind that a handful of fullscreen applications don't properly center on the screen and will be permanently mapped to the upper-left corner, leaving a lot of blank space where the game can't fill in anything. Notable instances include Techno Maniac, early prototypes of Marathon, and maybe Asterax and another game I forgot.

I do note that it still has troubles with SPR 959, even when the GPU is set to G4. SPR 959 is the sampled data address register, though it doesn't appear to be implemented and would only be executed without anything done to it.

There's still 8.6 to test out, though I suspect it too will have a same missing rtas message. If I recall, that message appears whenever OpenBIOS can't properly handle an OS that is trying to boot up. I don't have much an idea as to why though.

It does mean that I can use a fuller install CD to test things out more with though. Stay tuned for more.
DANADAX
Student Driver

Post by DANADAX »

Just curious, is it finally safe for an average Joe such as myself to give this a spin? Or are there still more bugs to be fixed and more development on the way? I mostly am interested in using a QEMU emulation of OS 9.2.2 on an OS X 10.11 environment.
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

While there is still a long way to go before it's perfected (things to work on: speed, graphics, sound, networking, etc.), Mac OS 9.2.2 does work nicely on OS X 10.11. If there are any more bugs to report, you can make a topic on this subforum to point these issues out. Running OS 9.2.2 under OS X 10.11 also doesn't have a plethora of mouse issues like Windows and it does seem to perform better there for some reason.
Budgiebrain994
Student Driver

Post by Budgiebrain994 »

Cat_7 wrote:Qemu running Mac OS in the Windows Subsystem for Linux (Windows 64 bit fast ring)

My jaw physically dropped.

I can't wait to give this a spin. If this is possible, I'd love to give it a try on Android (via Linux Deploy) when I can in the next week or two. It probably won't work very quickly, but that's not the point :P

I'm also getting a Raspberry Pi 3B tomorrow, so I'll set it up on that too. I have no clue about how QEMU runs on ARM processors but we'll find out soon.
kikyoulinux
Tinkerer

Post by kikyoulinux »

Budgiebrain994 wrote:
Cat_7 wrote:Qemu running Mac OS in the Windows Subsystem for Linux (Windows 64 bit fast ring)

My jaw physically dropped.

I can't wait to give this a spin. If this is possible, I'd love to give it a try on Android (via Linux Deploy) when I can in the next week or two. It probably won't work very quickly, but that's not the point :P

I'm also getting a Raspberry Pi 3B tomorrow, so I'll set it up on that too. I have no clue about how QEMU runs on ARM processors but we'll find out soon.
I tried before. I compiled Qemu 2.6 on Arch Linux ARM(via Linux Deploy). It took 20 minutes or so to compile and 8 or more minutes to boot Mac OS X Panther 10.3 hd image. Actually, I also tried to emulate x86 hardware using Qemu on that mobile phone. The performance was similar to 486 DX/33 or 486 DX/50, according to a benchmark.

host spec:
Snapdragon 410 1.2GHz(4x ARM Cortex A53) Processor
2GB RAM
Android 5.1
neozeed
Apple Corer

Post by neozeed »

So cool. I got 9.1 to install, only a minimal system as the extensions would bomb during install (netcape/ie etc..).

I noticed the mouse only went crazy when a CD was connected. Using GTK+USB emulated mouse was crazy slow but I could copy files off the ISO OK. Then trying to install Stuffit from the 9.1 ISO it just hangs on the installer .. G3 & G4.

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc.exe -bios openbios-ppc -M mac99 -m 256 -cpu G3 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -g 1024x768x32  -drive file=MacOS91.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk -sdl -boot c 
don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow.