Qemu package and guide for OSX available

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

daniel78
Student Driver

Re: Qemu package and guide for OSX available

Post by daniel78 »

Hello,

sound ist not working for me with this build:

MacBook-Pro-44:~ danielhensel$ /Applications/Qemu64Bit-OSX-3.0pre-Screamer-26062018/qemu.command ; exit;
coreaudio: Could not initialize playback
coreaudio: Could not set samplerate 44100
coreaudio: Reason: kAudioDeviceUnsupportedFormatError
coreaudio: Could not initialize playback
coreaudio: Could not set samplerate 44100
coreaudio: Reason: kAudioDeviceUnsupportedFormatError
audio: Failed to create voice `screamer'
screamer: Could not open voice

Here ist my command:

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'boot-args=-v' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file="/Applications/Qemu64Bit-OSX-3.0pre-Screamer-26062018/Macintosh HD",format=qcow2,media=disk -drive file=empty_disk.qcow2,format=qcow2,media=disk -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

Any ideas?

All the best,
Daniel
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Are you perhaps using another audio application? I found this when searching the internet for "coreaudio: Could not initialize playback"

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/509 ... e-playback

"I found the problem. I use BOOM 3D application on my MacBook. It is an Audio Enhancer. The app uses MacBook audio output. So when I disabled the app the problem disappeared."

Best,
Cat_7
daniel78
Student Driver

Post by daniel78 »

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply. Yeah, I used Boom 3D, too and forgot to disable it.

Now the error has disappeared! Thanks! My fault!

All the best,
Daniel
mePy2
Tinkerer

Post by mePy2 »

Hi guys I made a guide for emulating Mac OS X Tiger on QEMU 3.0.0 working on macOS 10.14 Mojave. It is in Italian though. If you think it could help, I will happily translate it into English.
https://2bluebuffalo.blogspot.com/2018/ ... ojave.html

Have a nice day and Merry Christmas to you all,
mePy2
mePy2
Tinkerer

Post by mePy2 »

mePy2 wrote:Hi guys I made a guide for emulating Mac OS X Tiger on QEMU 3.0.0 working on macOS 10.14 Mojave. It is in Italian though. If you think it could help, I will happily translate it into English.
https://2bluebuffalo.blogspot.com/2018/ ... ojave.html

Have a nice day and Merry Christmas to you all,
mePy2
Ok, that’s the translated version of the post.
Only one thing, I would recommend to utilize the Cat_7 (?) build of QEMU you can find here in the download section of the site.

https://2bluebuffalo-en.blogspot.com/20 ... -1014.html

Best,
mePy2
WizKid
Tinkerer

Post by WizKid »

Wow! the latest build is *so* much faster than the previous one, and I also see that that the screamer audio crackle on vm startup has been fixed!!!

Great job!!! :cool: :eek:
jonirob
Tinkerer

Post by jonirob »

Congrats. for the new command in the guide for setting up Qemu in Windows, it makes life so much easier for newcomers to Qemu.
DonDonKerabatsos
Space Cadet

Post by DonDonKerabatsos »

this experimental build seems to be unavailable, is there a backup repo for this? Thanks
Cat_7 wrote:20-12-2019: Experimental build, compiled on Catalina.
https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... v/download
To get it running on Catalina, read the included ReadMe.txt file!
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderator edit: Corrected quote
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Link has been fixed.

Best,
Cat_7
KCChrisD
Space Cadet

Post by KCChrisD »

Cat_7 wrote:Link has been fixed.

Best,
Cat_7
Getting an error trying to download the Qemu-4.2-OSX-Catalina-20-12-2019 build.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

are you sure you are trying this one?
https://surfdrive.surf.nl/files/index.p ... 0/download

Do not try to download from any links that were faulty before.
Always download from the first two posts in this thread.

Best,
Cat_7
KCChrisD
Space Cadet

Post by KCChrisD »

The top link in the first post wasn't working for me earlier, but both it and the one you just posted are now.

Thank you.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Please let us know your experiences with the build and the way I tried to circumvent the limitations Catalina imposes.
Perhaps I can then incorporate the approach into my workflow.

Best,
Cat_7
KCChrisD
Space Cadet

Post by KCChrisD »

Your script removing the quarantine bit worked like a charm, and the 4.2 version is working in Catalina. Thank you!
isranovetres
Space Cadet

Post by isranovetres »

When trying to install any version of OS X in QEMU, the mouse just doesn’t move at all! I don’t know what is wrong, and it doesn’t seem to be a Catalina problem… Any help?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

This can happen, depending on the -m parameter in the command line.
If you are using -m mac99,via=pmu your might try -m mac99,via=cuda

With -m mac99,via=pmu Qemu presents both keyboard and mouse as usb devices. Some versions of Mac OS/OSX do not like this. So give them the old adb devices by specifying -m mac99,via=cuda (which is the default if you only specify -m mac99).

Best,
Cat_7
Klaus
Student Driver

Post by Klaus »

Hello Cat_7,
first of all, thanks a lot for your work done. On my MacBook Pro Middle 2012 with 16 GB RAM and a 1 TB SSD, Qemu runs well under Catalina.
Under Qemu runs Tiger 10.4.11 and also Classic 9.2.2, see link to Dropbox. Both with Sound Support.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ylmlnoq6sz1y ... 2.png?dl=0

Question: the net velocity is very, very slow. Is there any possibility to increase it?
My Qemu-Command is:
./qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -M mac99,via=pmu -m 2048 \
-drive file=tiger.img,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=700MB.dmg,format=raw,media=disk
-g 1440x900x32

Thanks a lot for help.
Best regards,
Klaus
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Yes, network is slow. Nothing I can do about that. Running a sound enabled build and running classic under 10.4 will not be the fastest way to run Classila.
Running Mac OS 9.2 directly might improve overall speed, and so also the network speed.

Best,
Cat_7
Klaus
Student Driver

Post by Klaus »

Thanks Cat_7.
Regards,
Klaus
superpantoufle
Space Cadet

Post by superpantoufle »

Hi there,

I've known this place for years, having been a happy user of Basilisk II and SheepShaver since the early days. But I'm completely new to QEMU, and only today felt the need to register. Thanks a lot for the awesome work you guys are doing!

I managed to install a working Tiger following the guides, and everything seems more or less fine. I have a few questions or issues, though:

- using the latest build, I don't have sound. The emulated Mac doesn't see any input nor output device. Is it normal, or did I miss something in my settings? The host is a Hackintosh, though. Sound works well on it through line output, but it has been touchy in the past. Can this be the issue?
- the guest feels a bit slow, which was expected. But it's also quite unstable. For example, I get the spinning beachball of death when I try to browse through folders while some files are being copied. Once again, I'm completely new to QEMU. Is this normal behavior?
- What's the way to manage "virtual machines" with QEMU? In the near future I intend to install every PPC OS X releases just for fun. My understanding is that the QEMU folder is the virtual machine, and that to create another guest one has to duplicate the folder and edit the duplicated Qemu.command file along with the disk images. Is this right?

And hopefully it's ok to post all those questions here at once… Thanks in advance!
From a Macintosh SE to a MacBook Air (2018) and a PowerHack G5. 33 years of (insanely great) addiction, and counting.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi and welcome!

Sound is not supported in our default builds. You would need to use an experimental build, which should work with your sound device as it taps into the default OSX coreaudio system. I also run a hackintosh and use an usb headset for sound. Playing sound, however, will drain your system resources. As does letting Qemu run several tasks at once, particularly when running OSX 10.3/4/5. The beach ball does not indicate instability or near death, only slowness. ;-) Only Mac OS 9.x guests are performing reasonably well.

About running multiple guests: you only need different command files to start different guests. All other stuff included in our download can stay the same and doesn't need to be duplicated. You can run guests in multiple Qemu instances as long as you do not include the same disk in more than one instance.

Best,
Cat_7
superpantoufle
Space Cadet

Post by superpantoufle »

Hi, and thanks a lot for your quick answer!
Cat_7 wrote:Sound is not supported in our default builds.
That's reassuring! I should have read some more, sorry about that. I'll eventually get to this!
Cat_7 wrote:The beach ball does not indicate instability or near death, only slowness.
That's also kind of reassuring for the QEMU noob that I am. But on real hardware from that era (and that's still the case to this day, for that matter…), the spinning beachball is also often the sign that an application or the Finder isn't responding and must be force quit… Anyway it's good to know that QEMU doesn't like to run several tasks at once!
Cat_7 wrote:About running multiple guests: you only need different command files to start different guests.
Perfect, thanks a lot!

I just reinstalled Rhapsody 5.3 on my PowerBook G3 today who had a dead hard drive for years, and I thought it would be cool to be able to run every Mac OS X release on my Hackintosh, hence my attempts with QEMU. I already have most Intel releases and OPENSTEP running in VirtualBox…
From a Macintosh SE to a MacBook Air (2018) and a PowerHack G5. 33 years of (insanely great) addiction, and counting.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Just a note that Rhapsody and OS X Server 1.2v3 can take a bit more work to run under QEMU-PPC. They don't follow the default settings you can use for 9.0.4 through 9.2.2 or 10.0 through 10.4.11.

Of course, there's also Rhapsody x86 that runs nicely in a VM :)
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

2 new qemu-system-ppc sound-enabled builds for OSX have landed:

https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... =34&t=8848
(find them in the second post under experimental builds)

Note that they are both still experimental, and in the case of the build with fpu speed-up even extremely experimental as no guarantee is provided for correct fpu results.

Happy testing,
Cat_7
rscaboyke
Student Driver

Post by rscaboyke »

Thanks Cat7 and everyone that does so much work, my excuses on my post in de windows builds forum, but I didn't wanna rush anyone or anything, it was just a wondering why the windows release came earlier, much did I know about the build and testing difficulties on osx-platform. So once again I didn't mean to be lazy or impatient or anything, and I've tested the new screamer 5 build with fpu on osx, and honestly it's a GREAT improvement, the fact with playing livestream radio via Winamp for Mac made rest of OS unusable in earlier screamer, now I can play q-music live-stream with all the other apps active. Thx for all of this to the whole emaculation-group.

https://ibb.co/1Zh7qd8