afpfs-ng-OSX – connect to Classic MacOS via AFP2

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

dgsga
Tinkerer

Re: afpfs-ng-OSX – connect to Classic MacOS via AFP2

Post by dgsga »

For the time being I think we'll have to make do with guest login on Netatalk, I have no idea at present how to get user logins working... I have also added an init script to the repo that you can use to start Netatalk on boot via a Launch Daemon. The init script can also be used to restart the AFP server from the command line, anytime you change the config etc.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

dgsga wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:20 pm For the time being I think we'll have to make do with guest login on Netatalk, I have no idea at present how to get user logins working... I have also added an init script to the repo that you can use to start Netatalk on boot via a Launch Daemon. The init script can also be used to restart the AFP server from the command line, anytime you change the config etc.
Are you trying local user logins, or network user logins?

From the docs:
Netatalk supports the following by default:

"No User Authent" UAM (guest access without authentication)

"Cleartxt Passwrd" UAM (no password encryption)

"Randnum exchange"/"2-Way Randnum exchange" UAMs (weak password encryption, separate password storage)

"DHCAST128" UAM (stronger password encryption)

"DHX2" UAM (successor of DHCAST128)

There exist other optional UAMs as well:

"PGPuam 1.0" UAM (PGP-based authentication for pre-Mac OS X clients. You'll also need the PGPuam client to let this work)

You'll have to add "--enable-pgp-uam" to your configure switches to have this UAM available.

"Kerberos IV"/"AFS Kerberos" UAMs (suitable to use Kerberos v4 based authentication and AFS file servers)

Use "--enable-krb4-uam" at compile time to activate the build of this UAM.

"Client Krb v2" UAM (Kerberos V, suitable for "Single Sign On" Scenarios with OS X clients -- see below)

"--enable-krbV-uam" will provide you with the ability to use this UAM.
You appear to be doing the "No UAM" by default.
dgsga
Tinkerer

Post by dgsga »

DHX authentication is now fixed, it turned out to be an incorrect (linux-based) template for the /etc/pam.d/netatalk file. Now all compiles cleanly without warnings/errors and all works as it should. When you run 'make install' you need to do so as root to ensure all files are installed in their correct locations. That's all folks... :smile:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

dgsga wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:32 am DHX authentication is now fixed, it turned out to be an incorrect (linux-based) template for the /etc/pam.d/netatalk file. Now all compiles cleanly without warnings/errors and all works as it should. When you run 'make install' you need to do so as root to ensure all files are installed in their correct locations. That's all folks... :smile:
Hooray! Now I need to test it with my IIGS containers :)
dgsga
Tinkerer

Post by dgsga »

I have deleted all unused code, and removed unused configure and platform options so it now compiles more simply:

Code: Select all

./bootstrap && ./configure && sudo make install
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

dgsga wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:43 pm I have deleted all unused code, and removed unused configure and platform options so it now compiles more simply:

./bootstrap && ./configure && sudo make install

Nice!

I finally had some time to compile this on my Catalina machine following your instructions at viewtopic.php?p=69619#p69619.

Only at step 5 I got an error:

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Instead of
dgsga wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:03 pm 5. Unpack archive, cd to 'openssl-1.0.2u' directory then:

./config
…
I had to configure openssl for 64-bit first (found at https://gist.github.com/tmiz/1441111):

./Configure darwin64-x86_64-cc -shared

Everything else worked just fine!

I’m using netatalk (as part of A2SERVER) since a few years on Linux as server. Now that it runs on macOS I thought I’d try and connect from there to other AFP2 shares. Just to find out I never actually realised that netatalk is a server only.
Though afpfs-ng is just very basic, this means it still has its right to exist, it seems.

But having netatalk run on macOS (albeit without DDP) is great, thank you for all your effort!
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

May I suggest to move the netatalk related posts into a new thread? ‘Cause afpfs-ng is about connecting to Classic Mac OS while netatalk is about allowing connections from Classic Mac OS. And the former is what the title of this thread addresses.

Also, when I adapted afpfs-ng for macOS, what several people were looking for was actually a way to connect from Classic Mac OS to modern macOS. afpfs-ng is just a compromise for lack of a better solution and it’s a quite immature piece of software to be honest. netatalk is probably what most users will want and deserves to be findable more easily.

What do you think, @dgsga?

It would then probably make sense to point to Netatalk for macOS in the initial post of this present thread.
dgsga
Tinkerer

Post by dgsga »

@mabam
I agree, it makes sense. I'll start a new thread if you are happy to update the opening post. Thanks.
EDIT: New thread is here:
viewtopic.php?p=69973#p69973
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

mabam wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:00 pm ...
It would then probably make sense to point to Netatalk for macOS in the initial post of this present thread.
dgsga wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:37 pm @mabam
I agree, it makes sense. I'll start a new thread if you are happy to update the opening post. Thanks.
EDIT: New thread is here:
viewtopic.php?p=69973#p69973

A request to the moderators:
Would you be so kind to update my opening post of this thread with a reference to dgsga’s netatalk thread? It would probably make sense to point to it as the better and more mature solution compared to afpfs-ng.

EDIT:
Thank you Ronald for updating it!