Mac OS 9.2.2 Internet access

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Mac OS 9.2.2 Internet access

Post by PeterHolbrook »

I am having an odd issue in OS 9.2.2 running on Qemu for macOS. Although I can use a web browser to navigate the Internet, other applications seem not to be able to access the Internet. For instance, when I want QuickTime 6 to access the Internet, I get an error identified as "-3162". The same thing happens if I cause QuickTime to check for updates (although I know there aren't any, I find it odd that the update process should behave this way). If I run the Software Update control panel, it will check forever. The same panel reports that no updates are necessary for a SheepShaver 9.0.4 virtual machine. Has anyone encountered this issue? Is there a solution?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Mac OS 9.2.2 Internet access

Post by Cat_7 »

I believe it is just that these services have gone off line and present different errors when not found.

I just tested with tap networking to make sure the slirp network didn't prevent connecting to some services and found that e.g., iTunes 2 can still connect to streams such as:

http://184.72.239.149/vod/smil:BigBuckB ... ylist.m3u8

For Software update I get "your software doesn't need updating"

So there seems to be no issue with reaching the net in itself.

Best,
Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Cat_7 wrote:For Software update I get "your software doesn't need updating"
That's what I get in Mac OS 9.0.4 on SheepShaver, but not on Mac OS 9.2.2 on Qemu for macOS. Odd.

Edit: It is unclear for me how one goes about using "tap networking" for a Qemu client. Is it necessary to create some configuration/object beforehand and then launch Qemu adding some instructions to the line prompt? My current script to launch Mac OS 9.2.2 is as follows:

cd "$(dirname "$0")"

./qemu-system-ppc-screamer -boot c -bios openbios-ppc-screamer -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=MacOS922.dmg,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=Exchange.dmg,format=raw,media=disk -netdev user,id=network0 -device sungem,netdev=network0
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

To get tap networking going I did this:
-I created a network bridge called bridge0 in the network preferences with my default network connection as member.
-I installed tuntaposx

I use these scripts I have beside the qemu executable: tap-down.txt

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#
TAPDEV="$1"
BRIDGEDEV="bridge0"
#
ifconfig $BRIDGEDEV deletem $TAPDEV
and tap-up.txt

#!/bin/sh
#
TAPDEV="$1"
BRIDGEDEV="bridge0"
#
ifconfig $BRIDGEDEV addm $TAPDEV

Change your qemu command line :
./qemu-system-ppc-screamer -boot c -bios openbios-ppc-screamer -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=MacOS922.dmg,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=Exchange.dmg,format=raw,media=disk -netdev tap,id=network0,script=tap-up.txt,downscript=tap-down.txt -device sungem,netdev=network0

and run the command as root.

Best,
Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Cat_7 wrote:To get tap networking going I did this:
-I created a network bridge called bridge0 in the network preferences with my default network connection as member.
-I installed tuntaposx
Forgive my ignorance. I've already installed tuntapox, but, how exactly do I create the network bridge called bridge0? Do I simply run your "up" script or do I have to do something else?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The script adds a tap device to an existing bridge.

Assuming OSX host, go to network preferences. Click *, click +, new bridge. name the bridge bridge0, check your ethernet connection to be bridged at Include. Click create. Click Done.

Click apply when back at network preferences.

Best,
Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Wonderful. Thank you.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

This is what I get:

qemu-system-ppc-screamer: -netdev tap,id=network0,script=tap-up.txt,downscript=tap-down.txt: network script tap-up.txt failed with status 256
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Did you run qemu.command as root?

Best,
Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Cat_7 wrote:Did you run qemu.command as root?

Best,
Cat_7
Yes, I did. Do the txt files require any particular permissions (such as belonging to root/wheel, et cetera? Should they have a "command" extension instead of "txt"?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

No special rights necessary for those files.
Time for troubleshooting:

Open a terminal, enter "cd /dev"
use "ls" to see whether the tap devices tap0 up to tap15 are present in the folder.
If not, there is an issue with the installation of tuntaposx. I have no clear idea yet how to fix that.
If they are there, continue.

Change your command line:

./qemu-system-ppc-screamer -boot c -bios openbios-ppc-screamer -M mac99 -m 512 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=false' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=MacOS922.dmg,format=raw,media=disk -drive file=Exchange.dmg,format=raw,media=disk -netdev tap,id=network0,script=no,downscript=no -device sungem,netdev=network0
And run as root. This brings up the yellow openbios windows. Leave the window as it is.

Open a new terminal and enter "ifconfig".
Check for the bridge0 (zero, not O) to be there and look for its one member. Should look like this:

bridge0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
member: en0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
ifmaxaddr 0 port 4 priority 0 path cost 0

The output of ifconfig should also show:

tap0: flags=8842<BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 42:7c:8c:64:6e:56
media: autoselect
open (pid 7285)

Next, enter "sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0"
and enter "ifconfig" again.

This should now show:
bridge0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
member: en0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
ifmaxaddr 0 port 4 priority 0 path cost 0
member: tap0 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
ifmaxaddr 0 port 7 priority 0 path cost 0

Next, go to the yellow openbios window and enter "boot".
This boots your mac os with tap networking.

If this works, there is an issue with the scripts.

Best,
Cat_7
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

Cat_7 wrote:Time for troubleshooting:

Open a terminal, enter "cd /dev"
use "ls" to see whether the tap devices tap0 up to tap15 are present in the folder.
If not, there is an issue with the installation of tuntaposx. I have no clear idea yet how to fix that.
If they are there, continue.
Many thanks for the detailed explanation. I've checked, and the tap devices you mention do exist. I'll follow your guide as time allows. I'll report back when I return to my home computer. I'll be out for a few days.
PeterHolbrook
Apple Corer

Post by PeterHolbrook »

I still have to run some of the diagnostic steps you provided, but I've just run Mac OS 9.2.2 on Qemu for macOS without tap/tun and Software Update was able to tell me there were no updates for my "computer". The only surprise there was that it was actually able to verify that through its Internet connection. When I closed Software Update and reopened it, it never finished. I had to cancel the fruitless search. However, if I run Tiger with the same Qemu and the same startup parameters, Software Update works as it should.

An odd that I've come to verify repeatedly is that, when Mac OS 9.2.2 starts, it's always two hours earlier than Central European Time (it's now 13:51 as I'm typing these words, but only 11:51am for Mac OS 9.2.2). When I force it to synchronise with a Time Server, it shows the correct time; otherwise, there will always be a two-hour difference. And, yes, OS 9.2.2 knows where it is located. If I run Tiger with the same Qemu and the same startup parameters, the clock always has the right time. Odd.