Fix scaling on high-DPI displays (macOS)

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MacintoshPrototype
Student Driver

Fix scaling on high-DPI displays (macOS)

Post by MacintoshPrototype »

I recently tried installing Mac OS X 10.0 on QEMU (on macOS High Sierra 10.13). Everything works fine (it's faster than PearPC), except that it is scaled up and I don't know how to scale it down. The problem is that there is no 'Low-res' option when I use 'Get info' on qemu-system-ppc executable and apps like Retinizer won't work because "it's not an app". Is there any way to scale it down (maybe a command line flag?) because I really don't like the way it looks now.

This is the command I use to launch QEMU:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/Cellar/qemu/3.0.0/bin/qemu-system-ppc -L openbios-ppc -M mac99 -m 1024 -prom-env 'auto-boot?=true' -prom-env 'vga-ndrv?=true' -drive file=hd.img,format=raw,media=disk -device adb-mouse -device adb-keyboard -g 1280x1024x32
(I tried without '-g 1280x1024x32' but there was no effect at all)

Thank you in advance.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Fix scaling on high-DPI displays (macOS)

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The -g parameter only controls the initial (yellow) openbios window.
After that, inside OSX, you might use the various settings to increase icon and font size. There is no real zoom function available.

Best,
Cat_7
MacintoshPrototype
Student Driver

Re: Fix scaling on high-DPI displays (macOS)

Post by MacintoshPrototype »

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. The problem is that my host OS (macOS High Sierra) uses scaling to make things bigger, but that results in scaled-up QEMU window (not a guest OS problem) so I'm asking if there is any way to disable scaling (on High Sierra) for QEMU executable only instead of setting system-wide scaling to 100%.

(sorry for making this more complicated but I really don't know how to explain that)

Thanks