How to edit keycodes?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

fadedrobin
Space Cadet

How to edit keycodes?

Post by fadedrobin »

I searched around for a bit and can't for the life of me find how to edit the keycodes on Basilisk II!
All I'm trying to do is delete a folder in 7.5.5.
My OS is Windows 10.
Please help me!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: How to edit keycodes?

Post by 24bit »

To delete items in MacOS things are usually moved to the dustbin by drag and drop.
You may then delete things from the file menu "Special" "Empty Trash".
Later versions of the MacOS introduced a context menu for the dustbin - available via right mouse click - offering the empty trash feature too.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

keycodes is a file that maps your host keyboard's key codes to the equivalent virtual keypresses in Basilisk II. The default keycodes file which contains mappings for X11 (Linux), Aqua (OS X) and Windows should be part of the official BII download.

But you really shouldn't need to modify this to delete a file; in the Finder, just select the file, drag it to the trash and select Special->Empty Trash

[edit] if the file is locked, do File->Get Info and unlock it prior to dragging it to the trash.

Usually on Windows, the Command key is mapped to the Windows key and the Option key is mapped to the left Alt key. Handling of control, command and option is sometimes different on different keyboards though; you can try any combination of the control, alt, and windows keys to see which one maps for you.

Also, I've found a bug on OS X where the option key doesn't always map to option; generally you can override this by holding down command and option at the same time. On windows this would be windows-alt.
fadedrobin
Space Cadet

Post by fadedrobin »

Sorry bout that I'm not very familiar with older versions of MacOS!
But thanks a lot for the help!