How put floppy disk?

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

xor
Space Cadet

How put floppy disk?

Post by xor »

Hello,
I have trouble. I install program and put link to floppy in config file
but after few second program tell: Please insert other floppy
I mounting all disk but i cannot can change floppy
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: How put floppy disk?

Post by 24bit »

Some installers insist in changing the floppy disk during app installation.
Occasionally it is possible to copy all files from the needed floppies into a single folder on your emulated Mac´s HDD and run the installer from there.
If this workaround fails, you can only install from a Mac (emulator) with a floppy drive.
You may copy the installed app (plus any files that may have been added to System folder) to your desired machine later.

Basilisk II Build 142 for Windows does read/write Mac HFS 1.4MB floppies without issues.
800k and 400k floppies are off limits due to hardware limitations of PC floppy drives.

Which is the program you are having trouble with?
Maybe there already is a pre-installed app available?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

A procedure that works with most installers from that era:

- Mount the first floppy. Drag the floppy icon to your virtual HD. A folder will be created with the same name as the floppy disk and with with the exact same content.
- Repeat this with all other floppies and make sure all the folders are in the same location.
- Open the first folder and start the installation. The installer will find the next folders needed for the installation.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

This procedure should work with Apple-style installers from the System 7.1 era through Mac OS 9. For installers from before 7.1 (~1993), the physical medium often needs to be inserted into drive 1.

Since this software is older, I generally use Mini vMac to accomplish this, by booting the OS and then dragging the disk image over the Mini vMac window to mount it. The installer will auto-eject the disk when it prompts for the next one, so you can just drag the one it asks for over the window and installation should resume.