save states

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

save states

Post by starfiretbt »

I played a lot of mac games when I was young and I still enjoy those games. Unfortunately I really don't have as much time to "git gud" as I did as a kid when I only had a few dozen games and years to play them. Is there a way to program a save state feature in Basilisk II the way other emulators do? This would drastically shorten the time to beat a game and allow more games to be played. An example is the game Escape Velocity, in that game I would spend hours trying to conquer a planet as a kid only to eventually lose before I succeeded and the only way to save was to win the planet and land on it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: save states

Post by adespoton »

There's no easy way to add save states to BII, but QEMU provides some level of state saving -- it probably wouldn't help here though, as the entire system save states aren't reliable on PPC yet, and the disk differencing won't do what you want.

But for EV, the solution is easy: just open up your save file in a hex editor and adjust your stats a bit so you have infinite lives :) That's how I eventually re-played through it (and EVO as well).