New System 7 setup on OSx Catalina

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

New System 7 setup on OSx Catalina

Post by KnuddlMac »

Dear BAII aficionados,

I am trying to set up a new BAII with System 7 on a fresh Catalina OSx.
First attempts did fail (system did never start), but with the BAII from 9th of December 2019, there finally is a System 7 like screen visible.
There seems to be an attempt to open the DiskTools_MacOS8, but the system complains with the following error box message:

This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh model. Use the latest installer to update this disk for this model.

I make use of the Performa ROM right now.

Any idea/suggestion on how to proceed?

Season's greetings & my praise to the smart Mac folks here ,

-Knuddlmac
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: New System 7 setup on OSx Catalina

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

To be able to start up from the DiskTools_MacOS8, in the GUI the Model ID should be set to Quadra 900 (modelid 14).

Which "System 7" do you want to install? System 7.5.3 will also run fine with that setting.

See also our setup guide: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ba ... _osx_setup
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

You made my day! - Thanks a bunch. Maybe this helpful detail should be added to the setup guide.

After Installation, would you recommend changing-back the modelid or are there no further disadvantages?

Now all I need is just AppleTalk-Support also for the authorized Catalina version of BAII. Anyone made 1st tests out there?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

KnuddlMac wrote:Maybe this helpful detail should be added to the setup guide.
It is in the setup guide, both in an image from the GUI window and in the text: Set Mac Model ID to "Quadra 900" and CPU type to "68040".
After Installation, would you recommend changing-back the modelid or are there no further disadvantages?
No need to set it back. Only earlier System 7 installations need the "MacIIci" setting. I have a System 7.0.1 running in BasiliskII, that one will not run with "Quadra 900".
Now all I need is just AppleTalk-Support also for the authorized Catalina version of BAII. Anyone made 1st tests out there?
Does this still work in Catalina? https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ap ... heepshaver
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Thank you very much for your instant response!
It is in the setup guide, both in an image from the GUI window and in the text: Set Mac Model ID to "Quadra 900" and CPU type to "68040".
You are right! As the Catalina Version has no GIU yet, I obviously didn't follow the instructions strict enough. - My bad!
Does this still work in Catalina? https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ap ... heepshaver
Thanks to this awesome forum, I was successful on macOS Sierra with the described TunTap approach. Also printing works through the network to a CUPs print server.
But I doubt that AppleTalk support is also activated in the Catalina authorized version?

I'd be scared upgrading to MacOS Catalina, as I wouldn't like to loose BAII's network support.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

I don’t know whether IPNetRouter X still works in Catalina (it reached End-of-Life with Mountain Lion). But except from the fact that the evaluation copy will expire after a while and a license is very expensive, it is not needed anymore.

Instead create a bridge in Terminal, add en0 and tap0 to it and bring up the bridge.

That’s also how people provide network access to QEMU. It also works for AppleTalk as through the tap device and the bridge Basilisk II does not depend on the host’s network protocols (which don’t provide AppleTalk).

EDIT:
KnuddlMac wrote:I'd be scared upgrading to MacOS Catalina, as I wouldn't like to loose BAII's network support.
I see, then I understood the reason for your question wrongly.

I have to mention then that I did not actually test it on Catalina. It’s just that I don’t see a reason why it shouldn’t work as next to tuntaposx it’s just system functionality used to establish the network connection.

Can’t test it myself as I didn’t upgrade to Catalina yet, sorry.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

KnuddlMac wrote:As the Catalina Version has no GIU yet,
Did you try this one?
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... =6&t=10454
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

I don’t know whether IPNetRouter X still works in Catalina (it reached End-of-Life with Mountain Lion). But except from the fact that the evaluation copy will expire after a while and a license is very expensive, it is not needed anymore.

Instead create a bridge in Terminal, add en0 and tap0 to it and bring up the bridge.

That’s also how people provide network access to QEMU. It also works for AppleTalk as through the tap device and the bridge Basilisk II does not depend on the host’s network protocols (which don’t provide AppleTalk).
Thank you for the supportive notes about network support!
I'll dd my machine to be on the safe side of things and will try to convert to Catalina over the holidays.
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Did you try this one?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10454
Another Christmas surprise, thanks for pointing me to this one! J

On my 1st try, I was kind of shocked that my BAII didn't start. Looking at the prefs file, no ROM location was defined anymore. With help of the new GUI, that got fixed quickly.

But best was the option to enlarge the screen, that looks much better now.

Now I need to understand, why ShrinkWrap can't recognize my disk images anymore.

Happy Hacking!
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

KnuddlMac wrote:Thank you for the supportive notes about network support!
I'll dd my machine to be on the safe side of things and will try to convert to Catalina over the holidays.
You’re welcome!

Depending on what you want to do, you might want to change the way how your host connects to the network as well.

If you not only want Basilisk II to be able to have “native” networking, but also establish a network connection between host and Basilisk II (like I needed for my printserver setup between host and SheepShaver), your host needs to be in the same bridge. See here: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 314#p56752
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

KnuddlMac wrote:But best was the option to enlarge the screen, that looks much better now.
And did you try the control-return full-screen toggle?
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

And did you try the control-return full-screen toggle?
Yes Ronald, along with the largest monitor mode on a MacBook it really looks like "living with System 7". 8:]

This is awesome, thank you!
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Depending on what you want to do, you might want to change the way how your host connects to the network as well.

If you not only want Basilisk II to be able to have “native” networking, but also establish a network connection between host and Basilisk II (like I needed for my printserver setup between host and SheepShaver), your host needs to be in the same bridge. See here: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 314#p56752
I am in a hotel now and playing with Open Transport, I managed to get MOSAIC and iCab connecting to simple websites with success.
When I'll be back home, I'll set up an address in the range of my AppleShare and the Apple Print Server. Boy, am I excited!
When this works, Catalina would fully support my System 7 environment, similar to High Sierra.

Thanks and to all readers: Enjoy the time between the years!
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

KnuddlMac wrote:

My enthusiasm got demoted somehow:

Bad News: The developer of the MacOS version of Tuntaposx doesn't work on a Mac anymore. :[
Thus he lost interest and discontinued the necessary work for the authorized version.
I just tried the installation on Catalina and couldn't find my beloved AppleShares anymore.

Good News: The Developer of "Tunnelblick" intents to create an authorized version that might help us on Mojave and Catalina.

It's Sunday today, so nothing better to explore... :]
Please keep your fingers crossed. - Would be a shame, if BII would become isolated from AppleShares!
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

This is interesting news, thanks for sharing!

Does it make a difference if you install tuntaposx through homebrew?

At ZeroTier they were struggling with the same issue and seem to have found a solution. But I don’t quite understand the explanation they gave here (and whether it can be applied to our use case):
https://www.zerotier.com/how-zerotier-e ... -on-macos/

Also, Tunnelblick has found a solution requiring a restart under Catalina (but again, I don’t know whether it can be applied to our use case):
https://tunnelblick.net/cCatalina.html
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Once you've set up tuntap under TunnelBlick, it should also be available for Mac emulators, as long as you have it linked to an appropriate bridge.

Last time I tested tuntaposx under Catalina via homebrew, it failed to work. But that was the week Catalina came out, so it might be better now.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

I tried Qemu with the latest Tunnelblick in Catalina to see whether their tap solution might also work for Basilisk. But I could not (yet) get traffic over the tap devices it provides.

You always need some config file to have Tunnelblick start trying to connect to a vpn server (this file, however, can be mosty empty). We do not need a vpn connection, but Tunnelblick has the nasty habit of only populating /dev with tap devices when started. They stay available after Tunnelblick is stopped, but are lost after a restart. I would love for them to be persistent.

Qemu runs with the tap device. I see the tap device added to the bridge I created through the tap-up and down-scripts our downloads provide. So far so good.
However, I couldn't get an ip address through DHCP, and entering the data manually didn't work.

Mind, all this was tried in a virtual machine set to use promiscuous networking to all devices on the network. Nevertheless networking issues might be stemming from that too.

To be continued...

edit: I also unsuccessfully tried this: https://trent.utfs.org/wiki/Qemu
edit2: it seems appletalk is getting through the various hoops, as I see that traffic on my host. Just not tcp/ip.

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

If the problem is only with TCP/IP, it's likely a bitmasking issue. What happens if you set the mask to 0.0.0.0?
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

adespoton wrote:If the problem is only with TCP/IP, it's likely a bitmasking issue. What happens if you set the mask to 0.0.0.0?
TCP/IP works really fine just using DHCP in the TCP control field. But I am struggling with AppleTalk support in my LAN.

I would need that Version from Cat_7 with etherhelper support, but in an authorized version for Catalina.

So I could use TCPIP manual settings. If I could make use the KEXT for TUN and TAP is still questionable.
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Cat_7 wrote:I tried Qemu with the latest Tunnelblick in Catalina to see whether their tap solution might also work for Basilisk. But I could not (yet) get traffic over the tap devices it provides.
Could you open on Catalina a 'tap0' device from Tunnelblick?

My attempt:

Code: Select all

sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0

failed with 'config: BRDGADD tap0: No such file or directory'

Best,
Knuddelmac
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

mabam wrote:
KnuddlMac wrote:Thank you for the supportive notes about network support!
You’re welcome!

Thank you for your note, mabam!
This is another dependency I have, I need to be in the same net. With the current DHCP setup it would fail, I need to be able to define TCP manually.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

failed with 'config: BRDGADD tap0: No such file or directory'
As said above: you need to have tunnelblick configured and running (or have had it running in your current session) for the tap devices to be present.

You can then check whether the tap devices exist by opening a terminal and do: "cd /dev" and then "ls"
If the tap0 to tapX devices are not listed, you obviously cannot add one to your bridge.

I just tried getting appletalk to connect over the bridged tap device in my virtual machine and a bridged tap device on my OSX host.
I see advertising of laserwriter and file server on both host and in the virtual machine, but the machines do not show up in each other's choosers. So this is not working yet.

Best,
Cat_7
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Cat_7 wrote:
You can then check whether the tap devices exist by opening a terminal and do: "cd /dev" and then "ls"
If the tap0 to tapX devices are not listed, you obviously cannot add one to your bridge.
I spent the past two days installing the TUN TAB KEXTs with all sorts of suggested recipes for Catalina. KEXTSTAT shows them correctly:

157 0 0xffffff7f83ccb000 0x7000 0x7000 net.sf.tuntaposx.tun (1.0) 95DF963D-E23D-3B0F-8DE8-A4D2F6BFA5CC <8 6 5 1>
158 0 0xffffff7f839e0000 0x7000 0x7000 net.sf.tuntaposx.tap (1.0) 23FDB716-3D0D-3A26-ACBA-E3794C231CB7 <8 6 5 1>

...and yes, I have 16 devices each in the '/dev' directory listed.
But still no access to the TAP KEXT:

Password:
ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: File exists
ifconfig: BRDGADD en0: File exists
ifconfig: BRDGADD tap0: No such file or directory

I am still doing something wrong here and will investigate how to uninstall the current KEXTs from Catalina.
Cat_7 wrote:
I just tried getting appletalk to connect over the bridged tap device in my virtual machine and a bridged tap device on my OSX host.
I see advertising of laserwriter and file server on both host and in the virtual machine, but the machines do not show up in each other's choosers. So this is not working yet.
Awesome, at least the advertising already works. Maybe buffer sizes need to be aligned or even established? I'd wish I could already support you with some tests. 8[

But one question remains: What entry do you have for the network in Basilisk? Can you still use the etherhelper configuration as suggested in the AppleTalk instructions [etherhelper/tap0/bridge0/en0] or does it also work with [slirp] as entry?

Best,
-KnuddlMac
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I haven't tried with Basilisk. I have no Basilisk installation in my virtual machine. I ran Qemu to see whether a tap device could be activated at all.

EDIT: I just downloaded Basilisk into the virtual machine, and can open a tap device.

You cannot activate a tap device with slirp networking.
Make sure the tap devices are in /dev. Enter "tap0" in the Basilisk preferences editor and run Basilisk as root. Note that running as root requires the paths in the preferences file to be absolute. This will activate the tap device.

You can see whether the device as been activated by entering "ifconfig" on the command line. You should see the tap0 device in the listing. You should also see your bridge0 with member en0 in the list. Next step is then to add the active tap device to the bridge with "sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0" .

Best,
Cat_7
KnuddlMac
Granny Smith

Post by KnuddlMac »

Cat_7 wrote: You cannot activate a tap device with slirp networking.
Make sure the tap devices are in /dev. Enter "tap0" in the Basilisk preferences editor and run Basilisk as root. Note that running as root requires the paths in the preferences file to be absolute. This will activate the tap device.
Thank you for driving the extra mile for me and testing with BAII !

What Version of BAII did you use for your test?
Cat_7 wrote: You can see whether the device as been activated by entering "ifconfig" on the command line. You should see the tap0 device in the listing. You should also see your bridge0 with member en0 in the list. Next step is then to add the active tap device to the bridge with "sudo ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0" .
Are you also using macOS Catalina? On Catalina the Tunnelblick beta fails to install the KEXTs. - At least on my machine. With another machine running High Sierra, tuntaposx runs super stable.

Enjoy your weekend!