New icons for BasiliskII for Windows

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

New icons for BasiliskII for Windows

Post by emendelson »

Now that kanjitalk755 has made so many improvements to BasiliskII, it may be time to get rid of the amazingly ugly icons that are in the code. Here is a ZIP with three files:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/biiWinIcons.zip

The two .c files go into BasiliskII\src\Unix, and the .ico file goes goes in BasiliskII\src\Windows.

The result looks like this:

One minor issue: if you use Medium Icons on your Windows desktop, the application icon will be blurry. This can be fixed by downloading a copy of Resource Hacker here:

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

and then use it to copy the BasiliskII.ico file into the executable. For some reason that I don't understand, when BasiliskII is built for Windows, the full icon resource doesn't get built into the executable, but this method fixes it.

And in case anyone wants to download it, here is a codesigned executable:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/BasiliskII-newicons.zip

Admins: please feel free to post this build for download if you want.

EDIT: The medium icon doesn't get built in the source code because BII needs a separate 48x48 icon file in C format, which it never has had. This is easy to fix; see my message later on in this thread.
Last edited by emendelson on Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: New icons for BasiliskII for Windows

Post by adespoton »

I thought we'd settled on the 7/8 in front of the Mac OS logo?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:I thought we'd settled on the 7/8 in front of the Mac OS logo?
You did. These are merely my own personal preference, and, as far as I can tell, no one took the trouble to import the 7/8 icon into the Unix/Windows source code in the way that I did with the two C files in the ZIP archive. No one is stopping anyone from doing that if they want to. Meanwhile, the Windows source code has an amazing ugly green and black icon that seems intended to portray a basilisk (maybe).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The 7/8 icon was not yet imported in the source yet, also not for the macOS version. So far, I replaced the icon after building. I intend to ask kanjitalk755 to add it to the source, but I have not done that yet.

Edit: Would you have the 7/8 icon for Windows also?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:The 7/8 icon was not yet imported in the source yet, also not for the macOS version. So far, I replaced the icon after building. I intend to ask kanjitalk755 to add it to the source, but I have not done that yet.

Edit: Would you have the 7/8 icon for Windows also?
I can convert it for Windows, but I don't have a copy. Could you post or PM one? But it's not enough to add a Windows icon. For some reason, BII uses an ancient method that uses separate C files for the 32x32 and 128x128 icon, and you can find those files in the Unix folder in the code. These aren't enough for modern Windows, which uses a 48x48 icon for the Medium Size icons; it's easy to add this to the source code (even I can do it...) and I've updated my posts up above.

But you can do some of this easily yourself. All you need is GIMP-2.10. Open the PNG or whatever image you want, and resize it to the sizes needed. For each C file required, export the image as a C file, and paste the data into the corresponding file in the BII Source. Unfortunately, GIMP doesn't create a Windows ICO file with multiple sizes in it; for that I use Axialis Icon Workshop under Windows, and I'll be glad to create a Windows ICO in the 7/8 design if you'll send me the ICNS file. For my own builds, I'll continue to use the format I've posted here.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I appreciate having your builds use the unimac icon and the vanilla builds use the 7/8 -- it makes it easier for us to know what version people are using :)

Personally, I use a little app called image2icon which lets me import PNG/GIF/JPG/JP2k/etc. and export classic icon folders, ICNS, iOS icons, Android icons, browser Favicons, Iconset files, Windows ICO, PNG and JPG.

Or, I use Illustrator CS :) Modern Preview can also handle 18 different formats including ICNS and ICO, both editing and saving/exporting. Older Preview could handle even more.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Indeed. All those applications work well to create Mac icons.

The C-format bitmaps used in the Windows build of BasiliskII (e.g. BasiliskII_32x32x32_icon.c), however, aren't handled by any of them. The only modern software I've found that produces the C-format bitmaps is GIMP, but there are surely older ones that can still be used.

Also, the only modern software I've found that creates multi-icon Windows ICO files is Axialis IconFactory. In fact, Axialis's Windows software makes it easier to create Mac .ICNS files than anything else I've found.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

GraphicConverter 11 on macOS creates both Apple .icns and Windows .ico icons fine. I used it to create the BasiliskII for macOS and BasiliskII GUI 7/8 icons.

The Windows .ico icons by GraphicConverter contain sizes 256x256, 128x128, 64x64, 48x48, 32x32, and 16x16.

Not sure about the mentioned C-format bitmaps. I will have a look.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

emendelson wrote: I'll be glad to create a Windows ICO in the 7/8 design if you'll send me the ICNS file.
Which files do you need? I can send you the .icns file or an .ico file, or all sizes as separate .png files (or whichever format).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

With GraphicConverter I can also save images as .c c-source in various sizes.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:With GraphicConverter I can also save images as .c c-source in various sizes.
Ah, I'm sure you're right. My copy of GraphicConverter is out of date. Years ago, when I tried to use GraphicConverter to create a c-source file for DOSBox, the output didn't work, so I gave up on that. Probably it would be easier to use the current version... Thank you.

If you have an ICNS file, and GraphicConverter can create an ICO file and the bitmap files, then you should be able to do this on your own.

The Windows code needs an ICO file (with all the sizes) and the two c-format icon files in the Unix folder. For modern Windows, a third 48x48x48 c-format file is needed, and two lines have to be added to the code so that the additional size gets built. If you'll create the necessary files, I'll create a pull request on GitHub, asking kanjitalk755 to make the change to the source and to replace/add the files.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

To recapitulate:
You need the BasiliskII.icns and BasiliskII.ico files
and c-source files 32x32, 48x48, and 128x128. (No 64x64?)

Edit: I see two c-source files in the Unix source:
BasiliskII_32x32x32_icon.c and BasiliskII_128x128x32_icon.c
The third "32" refers to the color depth?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:To recapitulate:
You need the BasiliskII.icns and BasiliskII.ico files
and c-source files 32x32, 48x48, and 128x128. (No 64x64?)

Edit: I see two c-source files in the Unix source:
BasiliskII_32x32x32_icon.c and BasiliskII_128x128x32_icon.c
The third "32" refers to the color depth?
I think 32 refers to color depth, but can't be certain. No need for 64x64 icons in Windows. The standard sizes are 32, 48, and 128.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Here they are: http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/basilisk ... _icons.zip

I have no way to check if the c-resource files are OK. There are a couple of choices when saving the files.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I'll check these later, but here's the foolproof method I used for the c files:

I opened one of the original files from the source and the newly-created file with the better icon.

I copied the data part of the newly-created file to the clipboard, then went back to the original file and pasted it over the data part of the original file. By the "data part" I mean all the lines that have hex codes.

For the 48x48 file, I made a copy of the 128x128 file, opened the copied file and changed 128 to 48 in the header lines, and then copied the data from the newly-created file. I don't know whether any other output format would work, but this definitely works.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Doesn't that change the Resource section checksum making it mismatch with the PE header value?

If you want to preview the icons, you can do so using Resource Hacker -- this will also let you replace icons and modify the PE header to match.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote:Doesn't that change the Resource section checksum making it mismatch with the PE header value?

If you want to preview the icons, you can do so using Resource Hacker -- this will also let you replace icons and modify the PE header to match.
Have you actually experimented? The icons created by the c files are not part of the resource header, as you'll see if you open the exe with Resource Hacker. If there were any problem with this method, I would have said so.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:Here they are: http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/basilisk ... _icons.zip

I have no way to check if the c-resource files are OK. There are a couple of choices when saving the files.
I slightly modified the C files so that they header lines matched the ones in the original code, and built an executable. It seem to work, so I've posted a pull request on GitHub:

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/pull/39

If kanjitalk755 accepts the request, I'll build again and post a codesigned executable.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You also asked for the macOS version?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:You also asked for the macOS version?
Yes (if you mean the MacOS version of the 7/8 icon). Look at the list of affected files:

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/ ... 1f66098689
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I was wrong, and I wasted your time (and mine) with the .c files. All that is needed for the correct icons to appear in Windows is to replace the .ico file.

The reason I was wrong is this. Windows caches desktop and Explorer icons. So, even though I built BII with a new .ico file, the old ugly green Basilisk icon appeared on my desktop and in Explorer windows, so I mistakenly assumed that those icons were being created by the old bitmap files. Windows is very persistent about those icons. They got fixed when I cleared the icon cache by hand, but I had already made the mistake of thinking that the .c files needed to be changed. And the source code actually says that they are used for the Windows icons. But the source code is wrong about that.

kanjitalk755 saw that I was mistaken. My apologies to him and to you. Meanwhile, I am sending a codesigned Windows build with the new icon for you to post if you want it.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:The 7/8 icon was not yet imported in the source yet, also not for the macOS version. So far, I replaced the icon after building. I intend to ask kanjitalk755 to add it to the source, but I have not done that yet.
When I read this I had a look at your post from back in November where you offered new icons for Basilisk II and the new GUI (https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 652#p64652):
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:[…]
In case you cannot find them, I drew a couple of matching icons, one for BasiliskII itself and one for the GUI. These are the 128x128 icons.

Image . Image
Being a typesetter, the Monotype Garamond used in those icons doesn’t give me the feeling of classic Mac OS or 68K Macs from those days. It’s too different from the Apple Garamond, especially the numerals.
So yesterday night I had some time and worked on icons using the Apple Garamond and giving it the look and feel of the ‘67’ Basilisk II icon. However, while I was busy with the icons, I saw that the kanjitalk755/macemu source code already got updated with the icons from November.

After the time I spent yesterday night, I decided to throw in my designs anyway. So here they are:

Image . Image
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I think these look excellent - and Ronald's look excellent too, in a different style. If a consensus develops here in favor of the newer version, I can post a pull request to kanjitalk755 to include them.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

As usual, I've got a third typeface suggestion :D

I like the look of the Monotype Garamond, and always left the Apple Garamond for physical print -- which makes me wonder: what would it look like in Charcoal or Apple Garamond Narrow?

I don't have the gear set up right now to do it myself, unfortunately.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Good idea to use Garamond Narrow (I should lighten the orange a bit):
I think this is what was actually used in the ‘67’ icon. See for comparision:

I don’t like the Charcoal version (I set the font on 85% width as else the eyes would be completely invisible):