New icons for BasiliskII for Windows

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: New icons for BasiliskII for Windows

Post by adespoton »

I really like the Narrow one! The eyes end up in just the right places.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Here’s the set of two:

Image . Image

I had a look on the colour. Though both, the old ‘67’ logo as well as my ‘78’ one, share the same colour values, the ‘67’ logo actually uses a colour profile. Mine doesn’t as I woulnd’t expect icons to carry colour profiles, but I might be wrong here. I’ve left the colour as is for now.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. There were no comments after I presented my 7/8 icons in November, so I assumed they were OK. I can see why you like these better, though. My icons were used in my BasiliskII builds and in the new BasiliskII GUi since December.

2. Do you have your design as icon files? I could create both Mac and Windows icons from 1024x1024 (or 512x512) .png image files. If needed, I still have here the larger grey Finder and GUI background images.

3. Why do you think icons do not use color profiles? If a color profile influences how the icon looks on the screen, the OS/Finder apparently expects a color profile.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

1. It already took my attention when you presented your icons in the end of November. I don’t remember why I didn’t respond back then, but I should have done so. My apologies!

2. Yes, I have my designs as .icns files for Mac. I don’t have a Windows machine, but I can provide the image files for the required sizes. According to https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/ ... 1f66098689 these are 32×32, 48×48, and 128×128, is that correct?
For appearance reasons, in relation to the image size, the red line bordering the numbers needs to be thicker at small sizes and thinner at large sizes. So instead of providing one high resolution image, I’d like to create an image with the corresponding line width for every required size.

3. I don’t consciously know for what reason I made that assumption. I’m now using the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile, which, a.f.a.i.k., is very common. I’ve adjusted the colours to that one.

Many thanks for offering your support!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

mabam wrote: 2. Yes, I have my designs as .icns files for Mac. I don’t have a Windows machine, but I can provide the image files for the required sizes. According to https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/ ... 1f66098689 these are 32×32, 48×48, and 128×128, is that correct?
Actually, a full Windows icon file will typically have 512x512, 128x128, 48x48, 32x32, 24x24, and 16x16, all in RGBA format. The three sizes 32, 48, and 128 are an absolute minimum, but the other four are what icon-creating software typically creates.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

mabam wrote:I have my designs as .icns files for Mac. I don’t have a Windows machine, but I can provide the image files for the required sizes.
If you send me a 512x512 .png image, I can create a Windows .ico file.
So instead of providing one high resolution image, I’d like to create an image with the corresponding line width for every required size.
I am not sure how that will turn out. The OS/Finder (or whatever draws the icons) mixes intermediate icon sizes. When I use Graphic converter to create an .icns file, it automatically creates all sizes: 1024, 512, 256, 128, 64, 32, and 16.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
mabam wrote:I have my designs as .icns files for Mac. I don’t have a Windows machine, but I can provide the image files for the required sizes.
If you send me a 512x512 .png image, I can create a Windows .ico file.
So instead of providing one high resolution image, I’d like to create an image with the corresponding line width for every required size.
I am not sure how that will turn out. The OS/Finder (or whatever draws the icons) mixes intermediate icon sizes. When I use Graphic converter to create an .icns file, it automatically creates all sizes: 1024, 512, 256, 128, 64, 32, and 16.
Axialis Icon Workshop (which I use) lets you use entirely different images for each size. With a set of PNG files I can easily create a Windows icon with different images for each size.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

After creating the files with different sizes, I used Terminal to turn them into an .icns file as described here: https://blog.macsales.com/28492-create- ... -or-later/
emendelson wrote:Axialis Icon Workshop (which I use) lets you use entirely different images for each size. With a set of PNG files I can easily create a Windows icon with different images for each size.
Ah, that sounds good! Actually, since you provided an application name capable of doing that, I found an older 30 day trial version (6.5) of Axialis IconWorkshop that can still be run under Win XP, which in the past I used in a VM (and still had available on my machine). So I was able to create the .ico file containing the sizes 16×16, 24×24, 32×32, 48×48, 64×64, 128×128, and 256×256.
emendelson wrote:[…] If a consensus develops here in favor of the newer version, I can post a pull request to kanjitalk755 to include them.
It would be a great help if you could do this. I have done a pull request or two on Github before, but I don’t know how to create the .c files for the Windows icons. Are you OK to create these and post the pull request for the Mac and Windows Basilisk II icons?

Both Basilisk II icon files (Mac and Win) as well as the Basilisk II GUI icon file (Mac) can be downloaded here: https://c.web.de/@337526389169198226/Yi ... XaxP0sxWmw
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

OK, I created a pull request, and kanjitalk755 can decide whether or not to accept it. The pull request is here:

https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu/pull/40

I think I'm right in removing the block of code in x-video.cpp that refers to the c-code icon files. I can't find anything in the rest of the code that uses it. Those files aren't used in Windows, and they don't seem to be used in Linux, so I hope this is all right.

If anyone is building in Linux, you might try building this version by downloading from here:

https://github.com/emendelson/macemu
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

mabam wrote:Both Basilisk II icon files (Mac and Win) as well as the Basilisk II GUI icon file (Mac) can be downloaded here
I like the icons. They are more refined than the ones I produced.

The developer of the new BasiliskII GUI, munkymajic, will need each size (1024, 512, 256, 128, 64, 32, 16) as .png images. His source code does not contain the .icns file as such. The icon is created during the build process. He hasn't logged in since december. I will try to contact him.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

And kanjitalk755 accepted the pull request with the new icons (thank you, kanjitalk755!) so you can build a new version from the current code whenever you choose.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

mabam wrote:Both Basilisk II icon files (Mac and Win) as well as the Basilisk II GUI icon file (Mac) can be downloaded here
I like the icons. They are more refined than the ones I produced.
Thank you for your praise! I’m a bit perfectionistic :-)

I found a vector file of the old Mac OS logo on Wikipedia. The mouth wasn’t really round, so I fixed that. I inserted it as a vector object into Photoshop where I also typed the ‘78’ and applied the required effects to its layer. That way everything stays vector based and can be scaled in Photoshop without loosing quality.

For the GUI, the background with the Mac OS Classic control panel I have scaled for every size using the option ‘Resample Image –> Nearest Neighbor’ to keep the hard edges. Except for the size 16×16 px which is also different in Mac OS Classic, so I copied it from there.

The developer of the new BasiliskII GUI, munkymajic, will need each size (1024, 512, 256, 128, 64, 32, 16) as .png images. His source code does not contain the .icns file as such. The icon is created during the build process. He hasn't logged in since december. I will try to contact him.
At the link I posted above (https://c.web.de/@337526389169198226/Yi ... XaxP0sxWmw) I’ve now added a folder “Basilisk II GUI.iconset” containing all sizes. That’s equal to what you get when entering

Code: Select all

iconutil -c iconset [PATH TO .icns FILE]/[…].icns
in Terminal. This command converts the .icns file back to an .iconset folder.

Every size is provided as 72 dpi and 144 dpi (for retina displays). So ‘icon_512x512@2x.png’, for example, is actually 1024×1024 px, but at 144 dpi.

emendelson wrote:And kanjitalk755 accepted the pull request with the new icons (thank you, kanjitalk755!) so you can build a new version from the current code whenever you choose.
Thank you @emendelson and @kanjitalk755 for taking care of the implementation!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

mabam wrote:Every size is provided as 72 dpi and 144 dpi (for retina displays). So ‘icon_512x512@2x.png’, for example, is actually 1024×1024 px, but at 144 dpi.
Not quite. All images are 72 dpi. So ‘icon_16x16@2x.png’ and ‘icon_32x32.png’ are both 32x32 at 72 dpi. And I miss a separate 64x64 image (apart from the ‘icon_32x32@2x.png’). Something I do not understand: If ‘icon_16x16@2x.png’ and ‘icon_32x32.png’ are in fact identical images, why is the first one 2,477 bytes and the second one 1,650 bytes?

I am not sure images in both resolutions are needed. I think Xcode will make a proper icon with all needed resolutions for different screens.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Axialis Icon Workshop should be able to produce an ICNS file from the separate images. It may be worth trying.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

munkymajic uses the separate images in his source somehow. When he builds the BasiliskII GUI application in Xcode, the .icns file is created. Don't ask me how, that is all I know. For my version of the icons I first sent him the .icns file. He could not use that file, he needed the separate files in all sizes.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:munkymajic uses the separate images in his source somehow. When he builds the BasiliskII GUI application in Xcode, the .icns file is created. Don't ask me how, that is all I know. For my version of the icons I first sent him the .icns file. He could not use that file, he needed the separate files in all sizes.
Actually, it contains an icns file like any other. If you create the file in Axialis Icon Workshop (or presumably in Xcode), it could easily be used as a replacement for the existing file.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, I know. But that would involve editing the application. munkymajic does not want other people to make changes. If he would do it himself, he would need to replace the icon file each time in a new build. His GUI app is still in beta. Better have it properly included in his source. And there, he told me, it is not present as icon file.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

mabam wrote:Every size is provided as 72 dpi and 144 dpi (for retina displays). So ‘icon_512x512@2x.png’, for example, is actually 1024×1024 px, but at 144 dpi.
Not quite. All images are 72 dpi. So ‘icon_16x16@2x.png’ and ‘icon_32x32.png’ are both 32x32 at 72 dpi. And I miss a separate 64x64 image (apart from the ‘icon_32x32@2x.png’).
You’re right. When I originally saved the images into the .iconset folder, the ‘@2’ versions had 144 dpi. When I uploaded the images to the cloud I converted them from .icns to .iconset as at that moment I was not working on the same machine. I assumed the resolution was the same as originally.
So obviously 72 dpi is required for all images included in an .icns file, which is why iconutil changed them into that resolution when converting into .icns.
Something I do not understand: If ‘icon_16x16@2x.png’ and ‘icon_32x32.png’ are in fact identical images, why is the first one 2,477 bytes and the second one 1,650 bytes?
I do not know. All I know is that I exported the second one from Photoshop with 72 dpi, then changed to 144 dpi (while staying at 32×32 px) and exported the first one.
I am not sure images in both resolutions are needed. I think Xcode will make a proper icon with all needed resolutions for different screens.
You are probably right. I have now amended the names of ‘icon_512x512@2x.png’ and ‘icon_32x32@2x.png’ and removed the remaining ‘…@2x.png’ images from the cloud.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Looks now as expected. I will contact munkymajic about the icons.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

mabam wrote:
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I like the icons. They are more refined than the ones I produced.
Thank you for your praise! I’m a bit perfectionistic :-)
I initially forgot, but I don’t want to miss thanking adespoton for suggesting Garamond Narrow. That’s definitely part of what makes it more refined:
adespoton wrote:As usual, I've got a third typeface suggestion :D

I like the look of the Monotype Garamond, and always left the Apple Garamond for physical print -- which makes me wonder: what would it look like in Charcoal or Apple Garamond Narrow?