Installing software that has two IMG files

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

nilson
Space Cadet

Installing software that has two IMG files

Post by nilson »

Been scratching my head all afternoon over this...

I installed Basilisk II onto my old Macbook (I've been using Sheepsaver but documentation told me I need BII for this software I wish to use)
and have a folder of the app in question which holds both "1 - Install.img" and "2 - Install.img." I thought I loaded them into a volume - created a new volume in the GUI and moved the app files from the shared folder into the volume from the BII desktop, but this is clearly not the right way to do this (I was just following what I knew from the BII installation).

What is the proper, step by step formula to get this app to install?

Thanks! :eek:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Installing software that has two IMG files

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Add both install image files to the volumes list in the GUI.
nilson
Space Cadet

Post by nilson »

Thank you! Do you mean add them as two separate ones or one with both inside?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The original ones separately. Add them both. They will both appear on the desktop. Start installation from the first disk.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
nilson
Space Cadet

Post by nilson »

Thanks for your response : )

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've loaded the two .img files into separate volumes which i can now see in the BII desktop, but when I open them, they just appear as regular old .img files that won't open (cannot find a translation extension). Am I doing something wrong with the volumes, or perhaps this is not the correct method?

My other thought is, the very original version of my app is in a stuffit folder - should i try loading that into BII and opening it that way? I haven't tried bringing stuffit into BII yet...
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Unless the .img files are of a very old format, it should work this way.

Maybe you could give more information. What are these .img files? Where did you get them? Which software are they supposed to install? Exactly what do you mean with the original version of your app being in a stuffit folder? You mean a Stuffit archive? Were the two .img files originally in the Stuffit archive? If so, how did you unstuff that archive to get the two .img files?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Additional thoughts:

I am not sure what you did exactly. I do not understand what you mean exactly when you say:
but I've loaded the two .img files into separate volumes
The .img files should not be put into other volumes. The .img files themselves should be added to the volumes list in the GUI.

If the .img volumes appear on the BasiliskII desktop, they can be read by BasiliskII. So what exactly is the problem then? Is there a problem with files on the .img volumes?