Meaning of “Quit Mac OS” in installation instructions

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

LWG
Space Cadet

Meaning of “Quit Mac OS” in installation instructions

Post by LWG »

The highly detailed, clear installation instructions for Basilisk II call for “Quit Mac OS” as the final step after installing the 19 files of OS 7.5.3. What exactly does the instruction require? I ask because I have repeatedly “quit” the Basilisk II GUI and then made the required changes in the Basilisk II GUI (i.e., -On the volumes tab remove the “DiskTools_MacOS89.image” and “installerparts” disks. - On the memory/misc tab set the mac model id to support system 7.x -Click Start.) — but, when I restart Basilisk II, the emulated OS produces only the flashing icon of a floppy disk with a question mark in it. Clearly, I am not understanding what “Quit Mac OS” actually requires. Furthermore, after I run this emulation for the first time, I cannot simply “rebuild” it. Instead, I must download all files again and start from the beginning.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Meaning of “Quit Mac OS” in installation instructions

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The instruction "Quit Mac OS" means quitting BasiliskII app. Can be done by choosing Shut down from the BasiliskII menu, or by closing the BasiliskII window, or (preferred way) by shutting down the emulator from the Special menu in the Mac OS Finder.

Apparently you saved the configured settings, otherwise you would not have been able to start up from the DiskTools image, copy the files to the installerparts disk, and run the System installer.

If the installation was done correctly on the MacOS753 disk and after removing the other two volumes from the volumes list in the GUI, the emulator should start up from the newly installed system. You did not accidentally also remove the MacOS753 image from the list?

What is puzzling, is that you need to start all over, even with downloading the files. Removing the disk images files from the volumes list does not remove them from your Mac. You should be able to simply add the DiskTools and installerparts image files again to the volumes list in the GUI.
LWG
Space Cadet

Question withdrawn in re "Meaning of 'Quit Mac OS'"

Post by LWG »

My apologies for having asked this silly question. I resolved the issue myself – by reading the instructions more carefully.