BasiliskII sound quits, then freezes

About BasiliskII, a 68k Mac emulator for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux that can run System 7.x through MacOS 8.1.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: BasiliskII sound quits, then freezes

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

adespoton wrote:Ronald, do you know if the Windows build of Basilisk II can handle the sparse image format? I presume it can't do sparse bundles, but sparse images should work unless BII hands image handling off to the OS.
I cannot test it as I have no Windows system, but I doubt that sparse images, a specific OSX/macOS file format, will work on anything but macOS.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

BasiliskII version (30-09-2019) for windows does the same thing to me as version (30-04-2020), sounds quits and then freezes if I try to either restart or shut down the program. I don't know if it's the program or how I am using it, I just copy over my existing BasiliskII with the newer version. BasiliskII version (15-01-2010) still works so I suppose it's not too important, I just thought somebody might want to know.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The new versions since last July are built on SDL2 instead of SDL1 -- so it's possible you've got a mix of components/configurations happening here. Your actual config file, OS ROM, and disk images should still work fine, but you may have to change other components to run anything built more recent than July 2019.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I have a file called SDL.dll, when I searched for SDL2 I found this... https://www.libsdl.org/download-2.0.php. Is this what I need to run later Basilisk builds? And you said I need to change other components, do you have any ideas which one?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

There is no need to change anything. The current SDL2 builds contain everything they need. SDL2 is built into BasiliskII.exe. The file SDL.dll was used by SDL1 builds, it is not needed for SDL2 builds.

However, you may want to replace the old BasiliskII_keycodes file by the new one that is included in our current BasiliskII for Windows downloads.
Edit: And read the included ReadMe about the modifier key mapping with the new keycodes file.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun May 31, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

So replacing the BasiliskII_keycodes file doesn't stop BasiliskII from losing sound and freezing up. The old 2010 version still works so I simply replaced the newer version with that and the newer keycodes with the older one. Which key on a PC mimics the mac [option] key? Alt=command and ctrl=ctrl apparently, at least according to a program called "game cheater." But if I need the [option] key what do I press?
By the way, is it possible I am just missing a key file that I can download from mac garden to fix this?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The key mappings in the keycodes files for older BasiliskII for Window builds give the Windows logo keys the Option key function in the emulator. But in newer Windows versions specific functions of those keys in Windows, will prevent the use in the emulator. If you wish, I can show you how to edit the keycodes file to give the Option key function to a different key.

(For the new SDL2 BasiliskII builds you need the new keycodes file. For older builds you do not really need to go back to the older keycodes file. The older key mappings are still in the new file and will be used by older BasiliskII builds.)
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

That would be very great, the window's key activates my start menu and gets in the way of any programs running.

Thank you so much for your help, you and everybody here at this forum.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

- Open the keycodes file in a text editor (a plain text editor, not a word processor)
- You will see several lists of key translations for different host operating systems and different emulator versions
- Look for the list that starts with

Code: Select all

#
# Windows
#
sdl windib
sdl directx
In that list, replace

29	54	# Ctrl Left
219	58	# Logo Left (-> Option)
56	55	# Alt Left (-> Command)
57	49	# Space
184	55	# Alt Right (-> Command)
220	58	# Logo Right (-> Option)
221	50	# Menu (-> International)
157	54	# Ctrl Right
with

29	58	# Ctrl Left (--> Option)
# 219		# Logo Left
56	55	# Alt Left (--> Command)
57	49	# Space
184	58	# Alt Right (--> Option)
# 220		# Logo Right
221	50	# Menu (--> International)
157	54	# Ctrl Right
The forum software replaces the original tabs by three spaces each. The result does not look so neat, but function will be the same.

I think the comments in the code speak for themselves.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

That unfortunately doesn't seem to work. I tried cut and paste from your advice, I tried deleting the BasiliskII_prefs file and trying again, I even tried coping and pasting the newer keycodes from the 30-04-2020 basilisk version and the option key still doesn't seem to read. Is there another file where this might be kept? Is this hardwired into the BasiliskII exe?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I am sorry, with the older BasiliskII build you use now, there is no way other than disabling the function of the Windows key in Windows (bringing up the Start menu) to free it for use in BasiliskII.

At first you used the latest (30-04-2020) BasiliskII build. The download includes BasiliskII.exe, the latest BasiliskII_keycodes file, and a ReadMe explaining which keys on a Windows keyboard will activate which modifier keys in the Mac emulator with this keycodes file.

It should work without editing the included keycodes file. Of course you need to enable using raw keycodes and adding the path to the keycodes file in the GUI, Keyboard/Mouse tab. Without that BasiliskII ignores the key translations in the keycodes file.

Then, because of sound issues, you started to use the 15-01-2010 build. That older build does not have the feature of changing the mapping of modifier keys using the keycodes file. That feature was introduced in kanjitalk755 source much later.

Edit: You could try the 30-09-2019 build. It should work with the keycodes file that is included with the 30-04-2020 download. Maybe the 30-09-2019 build does not have the sound problem you have with the 30-04-2020 build.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I think it might actually be my computer. I was playing a flash game I downloaded using a program called "flashpoint infinity" and while playing it the sound stopped working. The program didn't freeze up and it is the only other case other than BasiliskII where this has happened. I think it might be some kind of driver issue which I will look into. Sorry for wasting everybody's time.
ussohio
Space Cadet

Post by ussohio »

starfirebt, did you ever find a solution? I have two different Windows 10 systems that have the same issue - after a while (1 minute to 1 hour... seems random) the sound stops working. CPU usage (Windows Task Manager) goes up significantly (from like 1% to 25%) and stays high. Emulation still works, just without sound. When I choose to shutdown System 7.5.5, Basilisk II hangs and I must force it to quit using Task manager.

I agree - it's very annoying during games. It's fairly reproduceable for me, if anyone has some debug tips.
starfiretbt
Mac Mechanic

Post by starfiretbt »

I don't think it's happened for a while, I can't remember off the top of my head. It does happen, I think it might be an issue with Basilisk requiring something my computer isn't giving it, maybe it needs more memory. I have a new computer and it seems to be working fine.